nine - cheerleaders are intimidating

If I had a boyfriend, the next few days would have passed with a lot more excitement, especially as the school gradually got covered in more and more tacky decorations and the glee in started crooning love song after love song.

Marley took my advice and sang 'At Last' by Etta James the next day in glee club, although Jake did deliver and sang 'You're All I Need to Get By' by Marvin Gaye and Tammi Terrell in a ridiculous getup with the glee club boys in the background. Well, that's what she told me. I was in Algebra.

I was currently in glee club now, hearing yet another love song. This time it was Blaine, who was singing a song that was a possibility for him to sing tomorrow at the wedding.

This is what I have had to endure, nearly every member singing a song for the wedding while I sat quietly in the back. Invisible, and not really caring.

Blaine finished his song to applause, then as he sat down Ryder got up. I bit my lip, my heart pounding when I realised now was what I'd been fearing. Why I was fearing it, I don't know. I just knew that Ryder subtly confessing his love for Marley gave me a weird feeling.

"So, I've been wanting to sing this song for a while, it was only after I got an opinion from someone I was able to get the confidence to sing this. But I wasn't able to do it alone." Ryder quickly glanced up at me, and I went red. He cracked a smile, and proceeded to invite Jake up to the floor.

Together they sang 'Iris', sounding amazing but both constantly looking at Marley. Jake did it more obviously and he was allowed to do so, but Ryder was able to sneak in a few glances at the girl that was focusing completely on her boyfriend.

The rest of the glee club looked at each other weirdly, obviously picking up on Ryder's affection for Marley. But I was perplexed; why sing when you've invited her boyfriend to sing with you? Surely he knew that he'd be ignored.

They finished to mixed applause, the only one properly clapping was Marley. She was grinning and leapt up from her seat, hugging Jake, then Ryder, then returning to Jake to give him a kiss.

Tina and Joe then proceeded to sing a song each, before Finn - who had been acting really weird lately - dismissed us from practice early.

"You can stay if you want, but I don't think we have anything else we need to cover." I stood up, along with a few of the others, and smiled at Finn as I left the choir room. I didn't have anything I needed to do before lunch ended, but I didn't want to sit and wait for another twenty minutes.

I walked down the halls to get to my locker, cringing when I saw neon pink love hearts Blu-Tacked to the front of the row of lockers.

Opening my locker, I grabbed my books for History then decided to rearrange my locker for the sake of it.

My eyes were drawn over to the inside of the metal door, where it was completely bare. I had seen a couple of other lockers with extravagant interior, covered in photos of special moments and special people.

I couldn't help but sigh quietly, although I didn't expect to become the most popular girl in school the second I arrived. Instead I had one possible friend, a confusing unrequited crush slash singing partner and I was apart of a club that I didn't belong in.

Shutting my locker door, I jumped when I saw the cheerleader I had hit in dodgeball scowling in front of me.

"Annabelle, right?" She asked in a sickeningly sweet tone, her dark brown ponytail flicking to the side as she tilted her head.

I nodded slowly, my eyes wide and my body trembling ever so slightly.

"I'm Saskia Ellis," she said, looking at her fingernails before glaring at me. "I have a bruise on my leg. Do you want to guess why?"

"N-no?" I stuttered, knowing full well but not wanting to answer.

Saskia rolled her eyes, before taking a step closer to me. Looking behind her shoulder quickly, I noticed three other cheerleaders lingering in the hallway. A blonde in a neckbrace, another blonde and a fierce looking girl with tan skin and dark hair. I gulped, before focusing on the scary bitch in front of me.

"I have a bruise on my leg because you, darling Annabelle, think that you can getting away with showing off in front of Jake Puckerman." Saskia's words sounded menacing, her blue eyes cold. She was noticeably taller than I was, making her all the more intimidating as I stared up at her.

"J-Jake has a g-girlfriend." I managed to reply, biting my lip when I realised that I had basically talked back to her.

"So? My friend Bree wants him, and she's going to get him. First she had boring old Marley to deal with, now she's got you. An equally dull, nerdy blonde." Saskia growled.

I bit back my protest, not keen on the idea of angering her more. She didn't seem like the type of person to yell, just go quieter and more deadly.

"So basically, stay away from Bree's man and if you hurt me again, I will end you."

I stood there frozen, watching as Saskia gave me one more vicious look before sauntering off. When they disappeared around the corner, I let out a breath I didn't know I was holding.

I shut my eyes and groaned, resting my forehead against my cold metal locker as I tried to calm my shaking body.

Cracking one eye open, I noticed the empty hallways and sighed.

What had I gotten myself into?

----------

Super short, but sets up some stuff for later yay 👍

Next chapter is the wedding! Then I think I'm just gonna go my own way storyline-wise. Maybe.