Chapter 1

10 YEARS LATER

Miley POV

Liam and I have been together for 2 years and I still don't know how I feel about him. We moved in together a few months ago but I don't know if I truly love him. At least, not like my first love. Liam tells me he loves me nearly every day but sometimes I act like I don't hear him because I don't know if I love him back. As we get out of the car to go into the restaurant, the paparazzi is already there and starts to swarm around us.

We sit down at the table and we reminisce about all of the good times we shared throughout the 2 years we have been together. How he always tries to scare me, our relationship throughout the last song, and many more memories resurface. 

 As our dinner was coming to an end, I turned around to see thousands of fans and paparazzi pushing against the windows of the restaurant. They all were taking photos of Liam and I and just as I turn back around to face Liam, I saw him on his knee with a big, sparkly ring. He told me about how he loves me and how he wants to spend the rest of his life with me. I look back at the big crowd who are trying to get in. I don't know what to say but I know that I cannot say no. Especially when there are so many fans waiting for my response.

Finally, he said the big question,

"Miley Ray Cyrus, will you make me the happiest man in this world and marry me?"

I had no choice. "Yes, I love you, Liam! " But I knew I wouldn't be able to keep this charade on for long.

Liam POV

I can't believe she said yes!! I felt like we were drifting apart so I didn't know what to do. I noticed that she started to throw herself more into her music and started to make her schedule so she wouldn't see me during the day, so I needed to take a stand. I wonder what would have happened if I didn't tell all of the paparazzi where we would be and that I was going to propose. We are back at home now, in bed and I still get the feeling that she is in her own world.

"How are preparations for the VMAs going? Hey. Miles."

"Yeah sorry. What were you saying?" She says, still looking down at her phone.

"I was just wondering how the preparations for your performance tomorrow are going."

"Everything has already been set up... I just remembered I have my last rehearsal tomorrow early morning so I won't see you for breakfast."

"Can we go out for lunch?" I had a feeling that she would try to get out of it but I had to try.

"I don't know if my rehearsal will be done because I am supposed to meet all of the band members and get my song ready."

"Which song are you playing?" I say, longing for some eye contact as I stare at her.

"I was going to sing a throwback song. Maybe Party in the USA-"

"You know, if you don't want to be with me, you could have said no when I proposed."

Her eyes quickly darted to me. Confusion was plastered on her face.

"You seem super distracted and distant lately. I thought that the proposal would bring us closer together." I tried to sound as sad as I possibly could, hoping that it would not come out in any way fake.

"I am so sorry. I have been distracted because of my performance tomorrow. I know I have done like a million of these shows but people that watch the VMA's always see me as that performance I did with Robin in 2013. VMA's are probably the hardest place to perform for me because of that."

"I get it but maybe you could show something towards me that shows me that we did the right thing. We did, didn't we?"

She pauses as if getting up the courage to say 'no we didn't do the right thing.' She looks down at her hands and softly begins to say, "I am sorry but if the paparazzi and all those people hadn't have been there I would've sai-"

"You know what it is getting late and you need to get plenty of rest to be fresh for your performance." I cut her off because I knew that she didn't want to go through with this but I needed her. If she never tells me then we can never break up and we will be together forever even if she isn't happy. I need her to be with me forever and I know that she will never want to hurt me by breaking up.

I could feel her staring at me as I roll over to my side and switch off my lamp. 

"Goodnight! Love you, babe." I sweetly say, to make sure that we are going to sleep happily and so she can't say anything else about us.

She gave no response and I could still feel her eyes on me after I drifted to sleep.