Chapter 8

Miley POV

"You ready to go?" I ask him, eager to leave.

"More than ever," He says under his breath but I know that he is just as excited as I am that this is finally happening. 

We head towards the car and I have no idea where we are going. We sit in silence until he finally says something,

"There is a nearby diner. Do you wanna go there? It is normally always empty"

"That would be perfect," I say, happy that I will finally get some food into my body even though I ate a couple of hours ago.

Thoughts are still swirling in my head but one just kept coming back. Is this a date? Is it the start of our relationship? He could tell that I was a bit anxious and said,

"No matter what happens I will always love you. If our relationship gets out into the open I will always be with you."

"I love you too, Nicky." and I give him a small peck on the check. I couldn't procrastinate any longer and I said, "I just have one question," I hesitated. "Is this a date?"

He hesitates and thinks about his answer for a while, "Yes this is a date." and he says nothing else.

He was so confident in his answer that I knew that this time our relationship would last. 5 minutes later we reached the diner, which had very few people. There were only 2 workers there and one other couple eating dinner. Luckily, I don't think anyone noticed us as we walked in but as a waitress came to us to take our order, she said,

"Hey, aren't you Miley Cyrus? And you are Nick Jonas." 

"Yes we are but we are trying to stay on the down-low as a couple for a while so please don't tell anyone that we are here."

"Don't worry your secret is safe with me, but I think that couple videoing will not keep it."

We look at each other, nervous about what would happen. The waitress sees our expressions and says,

"There is a nearby Macdonalds and they would probably have a drive-through."

We smile, relieved that we would get some food, and thank the waitress. As we leave the diner we quickly get into the car and just drive to the Macdonald's. I order a vegan burger (because I am vegan) and some fries. Nick orders a big mac and a soda. We eat it like animals and devour them in minutes. Nick stealing a few of my fries every couple of bites, I take some sips of his soda, and about 30 minutes pass until we start to talk about something not food-related.

Nick POV

"I guess you won't be out of the news as soon as we thought." I saw her look down at the floor, unable to think of words to say. "I know these past few days have been a nightmare for you but things will get better."

She looks at me but she doesn't look unhappy, "Yeah I guess breaking up with Liam was heartbreaking and really hard, but if that didn't happen then I never would have been able to reach out to my real love." She holds my hand.  

We look into each other's eyes and I get lost for a while. As if I am in another dimension. We sit in silence for a bit in the parking lot, but of course, silence is limited when you are a celebrity. 

I first saw 1 or 2 people taking a photo of us but I let it slide. Never would I have imagined having to be in a high-speed car chase with over 40 paparazzi cars. I try to lose them but the traffic is horrendous. I find a very crowded parking lot and luckily they lose sight of my car as it blends in with the hundreds of other cars there. Miley and I are hiding on the floor. The paparazzi are peering into all of the cars so we try to stay as silent as possible. We were on the floor for at least an hour while we saw loads of people coming and going, trying to catch a glimpse of us. 

Just then, my phone began to ring. It was not on silent and was on full volume. I get so scared I jump and fall against my horn. I hurry back to the front seat as the paparazzi run towards the car. All I can see are the flashes but I step on the gas and get out of there as fast as possible. Miley says,

"Joe is calling you. Should I pick it up?"

"Yes please, but put it on speaker."

She puts the phone on speaker and he says,

"Nick you are all over the news with Miley. What is that sound in the background? Are you driving?"

"Yeah Joe. I am a bit busy right now, can I call you back? Thanks bye."

And I quickly hang up before he can say anything else. I look behind and see that there are no cars following us anymore, so I take us back to my house. We stay in the car for a bit longer, just to make sure that no one followed us, and after 5 minutes we go into the house. 

"Wow! That was one hell of a night." I say as the door closes behind me.

"I guess our relationship is out in the open." She said unenthusiastically.

I could see that she wasn't as thrilled as I was so I chime in and say, "Don't worry, everything will be okay."

"But I literally just told Ellen that I wasn't going to be in a relationship for a while." For some time, the silence lingers in the air until she says, "And I wonder how Liam feels. I feel like I should talk to him. What do you think?"

I don't know what to say. Would she want to go back to him if she saw him sad or hurt? Or would he hurt her again? I don't want anything to happen to our relationship or anything that would jeopardize our being together. But I don't want to seem clingy not letting her meet whoever she needs to meet. 

"I don't really know Miles. and I don't think I can make this decision for you. If you feel like you should meet him, I can go with you if you want."

"Thank you, Nick." And she gives me a kiss on the cheek. "I think I will go meet him and I would feel much safer if you could come as well..." She said these last words softly as if she were already scared, "...considering what happened last time."

"Anything for you Miley." She still felt tense as we hugged. I was the first to say goodnight and go to bed. 

I lay awake in bed for a few hours, thinking about what would happen tomorrow when we go to meet Liam. All of the worst-case scenarios started popping up in my head, but I knew that no matter what I would always be by Miley's side. After a while, I was able to go to sleep and I go into a deep slumber.