Neighborly Counsel

Spring, the second year of Keichō

The monthly conference for yōkai had taken place this morning, and as usual, it had consisted of little more than Lord Tengu reaffirming three rules that dictated how one should conduct themselves when in the realm of mortals.

First - it was forbidden to kill a human for reasons other than self-defense or the need to eat. Second - one could flirt or make casual conversation, but befriending or falling in love with a human were both signs of a weak will, something that Lord Tengu did not tolerate in the least. Third, and most important of all - harboring a human in one's home was an act of betrayal punishable by permanent exile.

As Kumiko frolicked beneath a cherry blossom tree that was still bare and bounced a ball of foxfire between her five tails, she took pride in the ease with which she continued to adhere to those rules and smiled disdainfully at the thought of those who had failed.

Recently, the dim-witted inugami next door had been cast out after allowing itself to become someone's pet, thus leaving the house available for her new neighbor, a cat-demon by the name of Tsuneko. It was a most welcome change since she no longer needed to worry about being woken up at night by cacophonic barking.

With a creak of pleasure, she allowed her fiery toy to dissipate before rolling over on her side and nuzzling against the soft blades of grass. Ah, this is the life. The only thing missing is...

A distant rustling disrupted her thoughts, and she rose to confront the newcomer. The faint smell of fish and lamp oil became apparent, making it clear who was approaching.

Sure enough, a piebald black and white cat eventually came into view, tails raised and eyes straight ahead as if it were stalking some prey.

Kumiko shook her head in dismay, knowing that there weren't any smaller animals to be found here. She called out to put an end to Tsuneko's fruitless attempt at being a hunter.

"Sorry to interrupt, but you and I are the only furry creatures here. You won't find anything else."

Tsuneko's ears twitched as both of her tails sank. "Well, you're no fun. I was hoping to give you a surprise," she moaned in an elegant Kyoto accent that seemed at odds with her girlish voice.

"By pouncing on me?"

"Yes. That is how I show affection."

"Oh, I didn't know that," Kumiko said sheepishly. "Wouldn't it be hard to tell the difference, though?

"Not really," Tsuneko replied. "I wouldn't be able to eat you even if I tried."

"That... that's a relief. So, why are you here?"

"Ah, I was just about to get to that. I was hoping to get your opinion on a new dance I've been practicing. You see, Lord Tengu has requested that I perform a different one each month as payment for his charity."

"I see. That must be challenging."

"Exactly. It's why I need your help."

At that, Tsuneko turned and led the way with a commanding meow. Kumiko reluctantly followed, figuring that a free performance by a courtesan's former pet was bound to provide her with some entertainment.

******

After what seemed like ages hitting a tsuzumi so that Tsuneko could stay in rhythm, Kumiko felt a great deal of relief when the young woman finished with a dramatic flourish, and she was finally able to put the drum down so her hands could relax.

"So, how was I? Good or not?"

Kumiko was no expert on what constituted a decent dance performance, so she simply offered the highest praise she could think of. "I've never seen anything so wonderful. Lord Tengu will be moved to tears for sure."