Chapter 4

Chapter 4 

"Now, where to?" Lanre asked himself as he trekked along Arowojogbe street having no assurance of where to lay that night. His mind and legs started to pull him to the usual game-point where he meets with his friends. As usual, he met Kafik and Nkem playing chess this time; in a foul mood, he greeted them dropping his load under the tree. 

"where're you going?" Kafik with anxiety "or your brother has sent you packing..." 

"shut up, you've started again." Nkem silenced him, asking Lanre in a more serious manner "so, what happened?" 

Trying to put up a better look, Lanre struggled to wear a smile "actually, Kafik was by the way, but, I wasn't sent packing...my brother, so to say, left me unawares, and dropped my things outside. I don't even understand, probably he absconded" 

Nkem curiously asked "but why? Why will he have done that?" 

"I can't say, to me, Chuks is not a straightforward person, he doesn't tell me anything as such. Maybe in his views, 'm still too young to know things. So, he left my belongings outside and just left me to my fate."  

Before Lanre was through with his reply, Kafik had burst into laughter, leaving Nkem to bewilderment. "why are you laughing? What's funny here?" Nkem asked being confused "I know your problem, you're yet to be matured for your age." 

"hey! Don't start! Do not insult me...please, 'm pleading now" Kafik reacted. 

"So, what will you do? See guy ooo, I go slap you-look at you, I will slap you" 

Lanre interfered quickly before it results into a fight "Nkem, leave him, he's yet to understand. You know, life has different ways it turns to people, so, I believe he's yet to understand my situation" Lanre went ahead to sit on the rigid roots of the tree laying within the soil, running his hand along his lock of hair "just leave him" 

Lanre sat there watching them play, though bodily present, his mind was absent. Hours passed, the cloud was getting dark, dark and darker. It was six p.m. and yet, there had been no winner in the game they were playing. Suddenly, Kafik jumped up "I am going!" 

"Where to? We've not finished..." Nkem asked "cool down and let's finish it, as you can see, we're almost true" 

"Look, my mum will be expecting me by now" Kafik replied as he walked away hurriedly "...and Lanre, don't worry, you will get where to sleep, so far it's this Lagos" 

"so, you're going...you can't even wait to see what we can do to help" Nkem questioned. 

Kafik didn't bother to reply again, as he ran off to his home. 

"Lanre!" Nkem called. 

Within seconds, Lanre regained consciousness "yes! What happened?" 

"hmm, I see, you were lost in thoughts already right?" 

"Yeah, it's a thing to ponder about" Lanre replied. 

"Okay, what are you going to do now? What next? Where are you planning to stay or..." Nkem asked. 

"To be frank, if it warrants sleeping here, then, 'm in for it." 

Nkem, surprised at his reply, shouted "really?!" walking gently to Lanre, he encouraged him "let's go home, I shall see my mum about it, if probably there is any help she can render" 

"don't worry yourself...if you don't tell me, I know. It can never be convenient for us; look, how can four people stay in a room? How? Even if your mum accepts, within her, she would be so much discomforted. Be calm, as for me, this's how life has prepared it for me and I am just going to face it all alone" Lanre reluctantly replied.