Chapter 10

Chapter 10 

The sun was entering her sheath. It commanded people into their homes differently, old and young. Shola and his friends gathered on the veranda chatting and laughing at almost everything that passed by, from the girls to the guys, their dress styles and their walking styles. Lanre was relatively silent, they were not yet his mix and he found it difficult to get what their slangs implied. Adamu spiced the gathering with jokes periodically while Ismail supported him. 

"you noe even fit talk, you dry gan o-you can't even talk, you are so boring" Bolaji abruptly cut-in. "Nawa for you" 

Lanre smiled back at him and shook his head in nonchalance. "Na so he go dey smile-that's how he will be smiling" Adamu added. Minutes passed as the sun turned brown, the skies were turning dark and everywhere was seeming silent, it was evening. Ubah cleared his throat and raised the issue about the next day's work plan. Lanre would be included in this. He will be the one to observe the whole Owoseni area which comprises of over six streets. "To do what? Inspect in what sense?" Lanre asked. 

"C'mon. Don't tell me you don't know what you will be inspecting...do not worry, Shola will explain to you." He cleared Lanre's doubts "and for others, everyone will mark where he has been in the past one week. I guess this is clear?" 

"Sure" they murmured altogether.

"What?! Mobile phone theft?" 

"Sh! Shh!! Shhh...c'mon you don't talk like that." Bolaji cautioned. 

"No. We don't call it that here. We are into mobile phones and accessories. We are phone dealers. Ismail and I are the field operators, which you're joining. Bolaji and Adamu are the shop managers, they stay there and make sales. Ubah do the plans, phone repairs and every other thing. We are not thieves; we just pick phones from those who have more than one, repair and repackage them, then sell at a cheaper price...isn't that cool? Simple business with less stress!" Shola pointed out. 

"Oh...I see, thank you. Stylish thieves. Me? Join you guys? No. hell no! infact, I think it's high time I left here, I rather go and start to sleep under the bridge." Lanre answered. 

Bolaji said with mild grins "Stop getting it wrong. There is never a clean way to success. Lagos is a land for the strong; everyone hustles to get what he wants. You decide not to, you end up suffering. You just have to understand this simple fact. Though, we are still going to leave you to decide." 

"Oh, maybe he's thinking the things he saw here just appeared or those big men in town just got their jeeps by chance, they all hustled as we are doing. Mismanaging company funds, diverting government monies into their own account, duping and multiple incessant stealing. Those are the things that make a man in Lagos, as simple as that. So, it's my pleasure for you to join us in our own little way." Shola added, as they all lay on the large bed. 

Lanre could not imagine all he was hearing. He had heard the same words from his nephew months ago before they separated. Is that the right way to live , he had been thinking until these new boys repeated the same now as the only hope for surviving. Are they beyond the police, won't they be caught someday, Lanre marveled at the offer which he got.  

"...And lastly before I sleep, you have only this night to make your decision; if no, your time here is surely limited and if yes, you've opened your own way to personal financial rewards...personally, I have over a hundred thousand naira in my account and you know what that means." Shola mumbled as he dozed off. Lanre found it difficult to sleep. He was deep in thoughts; where will be go, who will he stay with for the remaining days of suspension, how and what will he eat. He reasoned with the advantages; he could still get to sit for his JSCE exams with the little money gotten here. He could even gather much money and run to start a new life all-over. The offer was scaring but attractive. He thought all-over again, remembering his parents and family members...tears streamed down his face, sniffling.