Chapter 1

Chapter 1 

A gentle breeze blew into the king-sized bedroom of the Williams' the bright sun shone on the window, it reflected light into the room, with silence as the order. She sat on her bed, holding a white chiffon with tiny holes on it, it was her underwear, it has been soiled. She was mute, looking at the cloth. The silence was broken by her a stout figured man, with towel round his neck, he was just coming from the bathroom "darling..." there was no reply "bestie..." "what's happening...?" he moved closer towards her now and sat by her side, with his hands stroking her back "talk to me...is everything okay?" "how is that possible? How can everything be okay? Tell me...tell me! How?! If you're not embarrassed, I'm..." tears began to flow steadily, rolling down, Shola 

moved his hands to wipe the tears on her cheeks. 

"Another one! Shola, another one again..." she uses her two hands to cover her face with her head bowed. Shola patted her back "Don't worry things shall change, I strongly believe" "believe? Till when? Till when, Shola?" her hands were wet already. 

"Okay, what did the doctor say?" 

"Hmm...the usual crap they keep saying; miscarriages don't just happen, it must be the person's fault-it happens to those who care-less about their state when pregnant; who still keep doing tedious jobs" she said with a saddening look. 

"Sorry" 

"And sh..shola, tell me, I want you to talk to me...please tell me the truth, 'ven't I cut-down on my works big-time?! I stopped attending to clients since the day it was confirmed I was carrying your baby, a month after, I stopped going to shop, I left everything in Margaret's hands...do I work here at home? I don't! so, why me...? Why our babies keep turning back when they're almost reaching us...? Shola, explain! Shola, explain to me..." she wept, as she stood up, images of naming-ceremonies she had attended kept flashing in her memories "I don't know who to blame...I don't just know, why is this happening" standing, she was facing the other side, her face was rejecting shola's consolations, Shola was managing to pull himself together with nostalgia of their courting-times. It was an atmosphere of love mixed with melancholy. 

"'m I the only one...? She turns to the wall, leaning her head against it with her arm in-between. Shola stands up to meet her, holds her waist, leaning his chin on her shoulders, he whispered "we shall get over this together, I can't, and won't desert you, you know that! Huh?" he sighed and continued "it's just a matter of time, please, make me smile by putting-off this sad face, please!" "okay! I'll try..." "No! Don't try...put it off" he said smiling, as he pushes her gently out of the room. 

Lola followed as Shola was pushing her, they enjoyed moving themselves like that every time one was not willing to go somewhere both should be, especially in the days they were courting. In a matter of seconds, they're in their gym, the largest of the rooms in their palatial building nicknamed 'love-bird's Villa' by both. Shola brought a canned drink from the fridge at the corner of the room, placed it at the front of his closest companion, while he jumped on the exercise bike and begin to warm up his legs, as his wife watches. 

There was a brief silence which was later broken by Lola "Shola" she muttered, "I think I have to open-up to you, I saw the message one of your close friends, sent to you recently, and as someone who loves you, he wasn't wrong according to the content. I quite know many unmarried ladies of marriageable age surrounds you and you've done your best, by being faithful; but me, myself, 'm having that grief for you, time is running out; you've got no heir, day by day, you're growing older, and not younger...gradually, 'm approaching menopause; so, what will be your own fate, all for the sake of love?" Shola who had been listening with a keen interest decided to ignore the question "Shola, answer me?" she said gently "see! You want to get me annoyed with this your mood, I know what 'm going to do...I'm going to leave you at home, at least, when there's no one to tell all these, you're going to stop!" he replied seething on the bike.