Chapter 5

Chapter 5 

"Mummy, please, you've just got to understand this; It's not convenient!" sighing, he continued "we can be offering assistance at our own detriment." Pauses in expectation of a reply but Mrs. Adukwo failed to, he stammered "it's, it's, it's..." 

"I understand you, but where are we going to be putting the kid?" 

"Oh, you call him a kid in this Lagos? Mummy, don't be stale...people of his age feed themselves in this 'land of opportunities'" Oge retorted. 

"So, what do you suggest now?" 

"It is simple, we just tell him we can't accommodate him anymore" 

"chai!" She exclaimed "you are too harsh, Oge." 

"Mummy, we will just have to tell him irrespective of the manner it's been said." 

"I agree with you, I will call Nkem and explain to him firstly" 

Oge smiled at his mum's easy acceptance of the bothering request as he jumped on the rumpled bed picking up his phone at very next second.

"Nkem, where is your friend? Why didn't you come together?" surprised at the occurrence, Mrs. Adokwu questioned his younger son. 

"No problem ma, he just got distracted by one football match that is been played in school" 

"Okay" 

Nkem rushed to the room leaving his mother on the grassy frontage, dropped his schoolbag on the bed as his unsteady eyes glanced through the room for any leftover food. His mind has skipped his fatigued brother who was lying beside him. 

Oge's query called him to order "you no fit greet abi-you can't greet right?". 

"I'm sorry, so sorry. My mind was elsewhere." 

"food abi - food right? Because I can see that look all-over your face" 

"Don't mind me, that's what brought me home. There's an interesting football match going on in school now. The best two 'houses' for that matter, 'TeamTaurus' wants to defend her title as the schools' best and 'TeamAquarius' wants to proof to them that they still remain the football kings-as they've been the consistent winners in the past before carelessly losing it to them last session" 

"Is that why your friend didn't come with you?" 

"yes, of course. The match is worth watching, hunger just cheated me today." 

Oge laughed aloud "hunger fit kill ooo - hunger can kill" 

"abeg nau, wey food dey? - please, where is food?" 

"Don't scatter the room with your unnecessary search. Go to the kitchen; check the cupboard directly under the sink, you might be fortunate to find a little quantity of rice. And, see, it's so tasty, I prepared it." 

Nkem nodded as he walked hurriedly to the kitchen knowing fully well that Oge meant the opposite. 

Nkem met the rice as expected. He didn't reach the room before he started to transport the rice into his mouth in spoons. "Bro. Oge, why didn't you go to work?" 

"So, it's now you can ask right...hungry dude" Oge teased. 

"ah, you don't know what hunger can cause" Nkem laughed. 

"...was a little bit weak, immediately you left for school this morning I began to feel feverish for over two hours before regaining strength again" 

"sorry, and how are you feeling now?" 

"okay, in fact, 'm very much better now." Oge replied.