Do You Copy? //chapter 2

Y/n's POV 

'She's not answering,' Mike admits. I roll over on the couch, propping myself up on my elbows. 

'I know.' I respond. It's been difficult without El. Mike took it a lot harder than the rest of the group though. He calls her everyday, not missing even one night. 

'Would you try again?' Mike's pleading expression makes me sigh. I close my eyes, trying to connect to her brain. I hear a pinging sound in my mind, like the sound of a toaster or something. I admit, there's something there. I haven't fully figured out my telepathy powers yet,  but they've definitely grown over the last year. 

'I hear something.' I whisper. 'I don't know what it is though.' Mike turns the dial up on his Walkie. 

'EL?' He calls into it. 'Eleven?' 

'Mike,' I open my eyes, walking over to him. 'She's not there.' 

'She had to have survived,' Mike pleads. 'She's not gone.' 

'Mike, it's been weeks. Either she's there, and she can't respond, or she didn't make it.' 

'She's alive.' Mike scoffs. 'I know she is.' 

'I heard something,' I start. 'Like a toaster?' 

'For eggos?' Mike perks up hopefully. 'She's out there. Staying with someone.' 

'Who would she be with?' I inquire. 'There's only so many people who know about her.' 

'El is out there, y/n,' Mike says convincingly. 'She's out there somewhere.' 

Dustin's loud voice comes through his Walkie, startling me. I turn the dial several times so I can listen without having my eardrums blasted out. 

'Mike, do you copy? Mike, do you copy?' he asks. 

'Yeah. Yeah, I copy.' Mike presses the button down. 

'What are you doing on this channel?' Dustin asks. Mike and I exchange glances. 

'- Nothing.' 

'Is y/n here? Lucas and I have six bucks total.' 

'Yep,' I say. 

'What's your haul?' Dustin's voice crackles. I pull out a handful of change. 

'Dunno, 4 bucks?' I estimate. 

'That's a lot,' Dustin comments. 'Mike?' 

 'Shit! I don't know yet.' Mike sighs. 

'What do you mean you don't know yet?' 

'Hold on. Call Will.' Mike runs up the stairs, leaving the Walkie with me. I groan, turning it off and following him up the stairs. 

At least I get to see Will. 

...