Let Me Go //Chapter 22

Long story short, we transformed the Byers shed into a makeshift interrogation room. With the walls covered and a bright light shining on Will's face, it would be nearly impossible for Wil, or the Mind Flayer to figure out our whereabouts. 

I watch anxiously as Hopper holds a cloth with a strong chemical on it under Will's nose. Quickly, his eyes flutter open and he looks around wildly. I can see the outline of Joyce's worried face, and Hopper's determined one. Mike stands by my side with his fists clenched, gazing down at the boy who we no longer knew. 

'What?' He grunting. 'What? What is this?' Will's eyes flash with terror and he starts to struggle. 'What? What is this? Why am I tied up?'

'Will, we just wanna talk to you.' Joyce explains softly, crouching next to his small form. 

'It's okay Will.' I whisper, ignoring the urge to reach out and comfort him.  

'We're not gonna hurt you.' Joyce says. 

Will's eyes dart from side to side, and I can see the gears in his mind turning; the Mindflayer still possessing him. 

'Where am I?' Will yells, and Hopper crouches next to Joyce. 

'You recognize this?' Hopper says, slightly quieter than his normal tone. He holds up the drawing of the Mind Flayer. 'Do you recognize this?' 

Will regards the paper with a blank expression, shaking his head. 

'Hey.' Joyce says. 'We wanna help you. But to do that, we have to understand how to kill it.' 

'Will listen,' I step forward. 'Please, just tell us how to help you.' 

'Why am I tied up?' Will screams, his voice increasing in volume. 'Why am I tied up? Why am I tied up? Why am I tied up? Let me go! Let me go! Let me go! Let me go!' He struggles wildly, pulling and tugging on the ropes with anger that could only come from the monster. 'Let me go! Let me go! Let me go! Let me go! Let me go! Let me go! Let me go! Let me go! Let me go! Let me go!' His voice gradually gets deeper until it becomes more of a growl. 

'Will, please,' I whisper on Joyce's right. 

'Let me go...Go...Go...' Slowly, his struggles die down, and he relaxes in Hopper's arms. Mike grabs my arm, tugging me back slightly. 

Will's breathing slows as he stares at Joyce. 

'Do you know what March 22nd is?' She smiles slightly. 'It's your birthday. Your birthday. When you turned eight, I gave you that huge box of crayons. Do you remember that?' His face remains blank. 'It was 120 colors. And all your friends, they got you Star Wars toys, but all you wanted to do was draw with all your new colors.' She hesitates. 'And you drew this big spaceship, but it wasn't from a movie. It was your spaceship. A rainbow ship is what you called it. And you must have used every color in the box.' 

I blink slowly as she continues. 'I took that with me to Melvald's and I put it up and I told everyone who came in, "My son drew this." And you were so embarrassed.' She chuckles weakly. 'But I was so proud. I was so, so proud.' 

'Do you remember the day Dad left?' Jonathans voice cuts in. Will's head snaps up, staring at his brother. 'We stayed up all night building Castle Byers... just the way you drew it. And it took so long because you were so bad at hammering. You'd miss the nail every time. And then it started raining, but we stayed out there anyway. We were both sick for like a week after that. But we just had to finish it, didn't we? We just had to.' 

'Do you remember the first day that we met?' Mike says from behind me, a tear running down his face. It was... It was the first day of kindergarten. I knew nobody. I had no friends and...' he inhales sharply and sniffles. 'I just felt so alone and so scared, but...I saw you on the swings
and you were alone, too. You were just swinging by yourself. And I just walked up to you and...I asked. I asked if you wanted to be my friend. And you said yes.' 

He hesitates. 'You said yes. It was the best thing I've ever done.' 

'What about the first time we met?' I swallow hard. 'You were the first person I'd ever seen outside the lab. One of the first real friends I've ever known. And you probably don't remember this, but I would never have gone to school that first day if you hadn't convinced me. You stayed with me the whole day, and introduced me to all of your friends.' I glance at Mike. 'Of course Mike was there too, but you were always the one to talk to me when I felt sad, or remind me that I really do belong here, even if I am a-a weirdo.' I chuckle slightly and my voice breaks. 

Will's breathing grows shaky. 

'Will, baby...if you're in there, just please...please talk to us. Please, honey, please, can you do that for me? Please. I love you so much.' 

'Let me go.'