Six

Jera was in a coma for four days.

Her left leg and left arm were put in casts and her head was bandaged. The doctors hadn't been sure she'd survive but the director had called with mandates from the Prime Minister that they make sure that Jera Franklin survived at all costs.

On the fifth day, Jera's eyes opened.

___

As the nurse pattered around the room, checking up on Jera, Jera examined the metal cuffs that bound her good hand to the bars on the bed.

"Five days, ena?" she asked.

"Yes."

"Where are we?"

"Some CA facility, I guess."

Slowly, Jera looked up.

Owondiki was cuffed to her bed, but the cuffs were attached to a chain that was attached to another cuff around her ankle. Unlike Jera, she could move around the room.

In the cupboard beside Owondiki's bed, she had her sidearm, the key to the cuffs, and a phone. But Jera didn't need to know that.

"Why did they take us out of Ibesan?"

Owondiki shrugged and looked around. "I don't care. At least I get to eat and shower daily."

"Ibesan was safer, trust me."

"They haven't been so bad."

"Because they want something." Jera looked at her nurse. "Are you clans-blood?" she asked.

The man didn't reply.

"You must be a commoner," she said, leaning up and using her face to follow the nurse who was just trying to do his work. "Your shoulders aren't righteously straight enough to be "divine". Which makes me wonder why they'd let you in here. You must have been thoroughly brainwashed if they could trust you not to be swayed by me and my devilish ways." She smiled and wagged her eyebrows at the nurse.

Ignoring her, the nurse continued his work.

"Unless the clans are in isolation. Can't imagine that that's good for the economy."

"I wouldn't know," Owondiki said.

Jera was right.

The fire at the Izeh custody had sparked mumblings among the citizens as news began to spread that someone... someone had murdered, not one, but two clans-blood. An Elheji and an Izeh. When Owondiki got out of Ibesan, she'd spent the first couple of days staring at the TV, watching clan properties be burned and vandalized as threats against them continued to grow. Granted, this was happening mostly in Izecha. But it would only be a matter of time before citizens from Usobo, Elhiji, and Osekoni started looking for trouble.

The clans had retreated to isolation units. Even clans-blood in official positions were holding meetings from undisclosed locations. Offices were closed. Trade allies had closed their borders to Jiki traders, citing the need for clan presence. These were physical, explainable hits to the Jiki economy. These were expected. The success of Usehjiki was tied to the availability of their leaders and this was proof.

However, there were other consequences. Ones that skeptics such as Owondiki would never have believed.

Farms were drying up. The rainy season had screeched to a halt. The air was minimally stifling and hot and it was to the point that it felt like Owondiki was picked and dropped on another part of the planet.

Everyone knew why.

There were riots in the streets. Many people faithful to the clans were holding protests against organizations that had anti-clans affiliations. Not to mention the many businesses that were directly affected by the absence of the clans. The country was slowly going crazy.