Twelve

Owondiki ate her breakfast in Jera's bed, while she read from the files. Clipping after clipping of shootouts and hostage situations. The clippings in the file she'd taken were dated six months in the future. From the look of things, the clans were about to have a lot of trouble on their hands.

What bothered Owondiki was the fact that even though she knew Jera was the catalyst for all of it, she couldn't find Jera's name anywhere. Either Jera would eventually retire to a quiet life of peace, or... Owondiki didn't want to imagine the alternative. There were several reasons why someone as notorious as Jera wouldn't be in the news in the future.

After all, in the nine months she'd been in jail, Jiki News hadn't talked about her much. It could also be that her grandfather just hadn't taken clippings about Jera after a certain point. Yes, that had to be it.

When lunch came in, she realized that the TV was on a movie station and that their guests were gone.

"Is she coming with us?" Steven asked, nodding in Owondiki's direction.

"I want to go to the Oseki units."

"You're useless in a fight," Jera said with an indulgent smile on her face.

"Which is why I want to go to Osekoni. If we pick right, we might find an empty unit. There are rumors that the Oseki are very few. Plus, I want to go."

"Fine," Jera said. "I'll go with you."

"Why would Clans Authority recruit you if you couldn't handle yourself?" Steven asked, from where he was sitting at Jera's desk with a plate of rice on his chest and his feet crossed on the desk.

"I failed all the physical tests, but I scored high on Info. & Tactical Assessment and Field Control."

Steven frowned. "So you're smart?"

Owondiki hesitated, unsure whether to reply in the affirmative or just let his words dwindle into silence.

"Yes, she's smart," Jera answered in Owondiki's stead.

"Can I ask you something?" Owondiki said, hoping to move the conversation away from herself. "You brought me here to give you information on the isolation units," she said, leadingly.

"I did," Jera agreed.

"But you could have taken me anywhere. You have allies in every sector and you're not even from Izecha. You could have taken me anywhere you were more comfortable. But you brought me to Boboyile. Why?"

Steven and Jera shared quiet looks. While she looked as plain and neutral as could be, Steven frowned, shaking his head slightly.

"You know about the fountain?" Jera said, as Steven sighed and stood, throwing his hands in the air. "We'll have to tell her eventually."

"I'm on your side," Owondiki said to Steven.

"That's what you're saying now," he replied.

"I already know the tale of Boboyile's fountain. It's not like you're saying anything new to a Jiki citizen."

"Then why are you asking?" he asked.

"Because," she began, unable to come up with a reason more than pure curiosity.

She was still very much aware that the fountain was a myth. She knew that it was nothing more than a cocked-up story. Something to teach the citizens that even the clans came from humble beginnings. That even if you were dealt a horrible hand in life, you could dig your way out, if you were tenacious enough. A fairytale with a lesson. Nothing more.

She was also aware of the power of fairy tales. It didn't have to be literal, but it could gather people in a way that most historically accurate stories couldn't. Who cared if a bunch of rebels wanted to believe in a fictitious fountain, as long as their goals remained undivided? If their leader... if Jera held on strong enough, she could lead an army on nothing but promises of truths that would never be. And no one would notice if they put in the work and got freedom for themselves. No one would question the dubiousness of a falsified story if the story eventually led to goals being accomplished.