Chapter 25: Need for a Mother

I sat on the end of the couch, my head propped up with my hands and my elbows resting on my knees. The nerves were starting to get to me. Just sat there, waiting, wasn't doing me any good.

I just couldn't trust her, no matter how much reassurance I had been given.

'Just see what she has to say. It won't be that bad.'

But they didn't know my mother. I didn't really know my mother, not as well as I should do.

I lifted my head out of my hands when I sensed a figure crouching in front of me. As soon as I saw Emerson's face smiling up at me, I couldn't help but return to it.

"You'll be fine. Don't worry about it." I appreciated his worry, I really did, but consoling words didn't help one bit. "Just be nice."

"Thanks," I smiled weakly and ran a hand through my hair before sitting back up straight, "I'll try."

Shortly after, a knock sounded from the other side of the bus door.

Here we go.

I heaved myself off the couch and squeezed past Emerson to get to the door. With a forceful shove, it opened to reveal my mother standing with a smile on her face.

"Hello, dear." Even her voice still seemed tired. Judging by the low quality makeup smeared lazily on her face and the mismatched outfit she wore, I assumed she'd only just woken up. "Are you going to introduce me to your friends?"

"No." I respond flatly, quickly remembering what Emerson had told me. I wasn't too happy about it, but I could at least try. "Not yet. They're... busy."

I stepped down from the bus and slipped my hands into the jacket pockets.

Not knowing what to say, the entire walk to find an acceptable coffee shop was completely silent. Not one word was spoken between us until we were seated at a table for two in a quaint independently run cafe and two steaming cups of coffee were placed in front of us.

"So, you joined a band." She broke the long-lasting silence finally. "I had no idea you played."

Of course you didn't. "A friend taught me after you left."

"Well they must have been a very good teacher." Whilst she spoke, she brought the white ceramic mug to her lips. "What else is new?"

I was abandoned by my mother, abandoned by my brother, and abused by my girlfriend. You? "Well, I came out. I guess that's kinda important."

I saw a sudden change in her expression. Was she... happy for me? "Oh, Tara, I am so proud of you." Her smile was full of sincerity as she placed her hand atop mine.

This was strange. I had never seen this before, felt this before. I stared at her hand for a while. I wasn't sure how it made me feel, something in my chest felt... warm? Was this comfort? But she doesn't comfort me.

I couldn't explain this feeling, but I didn't want it to end.

"Th-thank you," I stuttered, still taken aback by the strange emotions. "What about you?" Had I really just asked that?

"Not much." She chuckled and looked down and returned her hand to her mug. "I quit smoking."

Suddenly a wave of relief hit me. Strangely, I was proud of her. The memories of the constant odour of tobacco smoke as we returned from long days at school still lingered with me eight years later.

"That's... that's amazing!" I gushed, finally giving in and showing some form of emotion rather than keeping up the cold shoulder. "Oh my God, mom, that's so good."

Another motherly smile spread across her face. She seemed proud of herself, also.

"You're really trying, aren't you?" I furrowed my brows and looked at her.

"Yes. I am." I allowed her to take my hands. "I haven't been there for you. I've been an awful mother, and I really hope it isn't too late for me to make things right. I want to be your mom again."

It took me a moment to process the words. Years of living without parents, and finally she wanted to do something.

"Please... I need my mom."