Chapter 28 : Fire and feathers

UNEDITED

To think that the answer had been under her nose this whole time. Quite literally.

It was in Hachi's handwriting. The messy handwriting that she could recognize anywhere.

Kinutsugu villa in Kyoto. Where the fire rises and falls and where feathers flock together.

It was a summer villa they owned in Kyoto. They used to go there every summer with their parents, and every year afterwards to keep the tradition. It had been years since Seina had stepped a foot inside the place.

"Sei.." Shoko said, bringing her out of her thoughts.

"Its a lead. I finally have a lead."

"Sei, isn't it too dangerous? At least-"

She shook her head. "No. Its just our villa. No one lives there anyway, so I'll be fine alone. Don't worry."

"Okay." Shoko glanced at her wristwatch. "Don't you have to go? The kyoto fest is gonna start soon."

"I forgot. Bye Sho-chan." With a wave, she pulled on her jacket and went out.

Seina hurriedly went to see Yaga-sensei, to inform him about her plans. The corridors appeared to be same, and soon she had wandered too far in and gotten lost. The first event would start soon, and she wasn't anywhere close to the training grounds where it was to be held. And she hadn't found Yaga-sensei either.

The layout of the school had little changes, along with different paint repairs, so she didn't recognize the paths. Wandering around corridor after corridor, she debated on weather or not to use acceleration and get out. It would cost her repairs, but it was too frustrating being stuck in here.

She turned around a corner she was sure she had at least three times, she ran into something- or someone. The hardness caused her to stumble back and fall painfully on her ass, and she hissed in pain.

"What in the suger-"

"Sorry. You were so small that I didn't see you," the blindfolded guy said, his smirk clearly visible. He extended a hand to help her back up.

"You stupid giraffe." She shot up, brushing his hand away. "Is your head so far up the clouds now that you can't see the ground?"

"Now, now, shorty, be careful or this giraffe may just stomp on you."

"Nit if I break your kneecaps first, beanpole."

"Eh? I don't mind if you climb up on me." There was a teasing tone to it which made Seina red.

"Wha- what are you talking about?"

She looked away and Satoru stepped closer. "Shouldn't you be there? The event is going to start."

"I could say the same about you," Seina said, taking another step back. Satoru moved closer and took ahold of one of her wrists, pulling her closer to him.

Seina winced from pain, as it was where the ropes had dug into her skin. She tried to mask it, but Satoru noticed and frowned.

"Are you hurt?"

"No." The reply came fast, as if prepared.

"Oh? Then what's this?" He pushed his fingers against her wrist, squeezing it a little, making Seina wince in pain again.

"Nothing."

Satoru sighed, and pulled her sleeve up to see the angry red marks on her hand.

"How did you get hurt?"