'You're Going to Be Sorry'

Sunday, 8th of September 1968:

As the afternoon came, you could hear "You're Gonna be Sorry" from Dolly's latest album playing outside Trixie's house. She maybe didn't have a lot of money, but what she had she would often spend buying new records. This was both because she loved music, but also because she didn't want to give any of the money she had earned in the bakery to her mom, and especially her stepfather. All she needed was a lipstick, some dresses, records and a pair of boots.

As she looked for Dolly's debut album, she sneaked a glance at the girl who was sitting on her couch. She still seemed a little bit shy while she listened to the country song. At this moment, Trixie realized how pale the skin of this woman was, even paler than hers. Trixie liked to have a slightly tanned look.

"Did you like it?" She asked the girl who was looking around at the plain decorations without saying a word.

"I..don't mind it but how do you say it...bozhe moy ( My god )." Katya paused for a few seconds to think, looking at the floor. "It is not my...cup of tea as you americans say."

"Oh..." Trixie nodded, trying no to get disappointed. "Can I tell you something?"

"Yes."

"I love your accent" Trixie confessed without any restrictions. Katya seemed surprised by that statement.

"Really?" The taller girl nodded quickly. "Usually people laugh at me when I talk or when I make mistakes."

"What? No, that's so rude!" Trixie said, scandalized. "Well, I love it. I think it makes you special." She offered her a warm smile.

"Spasiba." The girl beamed and Trixie thought that she had never seen such a beautiful smile before in her life.

"What does that mean?"

"Thanks."

"Oh, you're welcome!" She said, delighted. "Do you want some tea, coffee, juice or...water?"

"Tea," Katya chose, smiling a bit.

***

Trixie was well known for being bubbly, outgoing and she loved to socialize. Unfortunately, she barely ever had the time for it. Since she had been a teen, she had any part time job that she could find. It was hard most of the time; there weren't a lot of jobs that she could apply for in her hometown, and she was a girl and that was an important factor. She had always thought that was ridiculous. Women could do pretty much any job men could. But that's how it was, especially in a small town.

Now everything was changing. This time around she might have enough time to make some friends and work with something that she enjoyed at the same time. And her whole salary was going to be just for her and not to be split with her mother. Something so simple for some people, but it wasn't to her. She'd been struggling for years now. It was about time to live her own life.

As Trixie was waiting for the kettle to boil with Katya, she smiled at her. She didn't hesitate to welcome her into her new home. Even though the girl seemed a little bit introverted, there was something that Trixie could sense in her, something special. Maybe it was the dark clothes, maybe the fact that she was a foreigner or maybe it was because she seemed shy. Either way, she wanted to get to know her a little bit more.

"Do you work or study?" Trixie asked, breaking the silence and deemed it best to start by asking simple questions.

"I work as a cashier in a grocery store." Katya looked at her again, still a little bit timid. "What about you?"