Loathing

Antonia is bored of her standard lecture about staying with Happy Hogan at all times. She mouths her father's speech word for word with a furrowed brow and a scowl.

Tony remains, firm, "...and you call me if anyone even dares to look at you the wrong way. You hit that emergency button- Antonia Vivian!"

The girl stares forward, eyes wide over being caught mouthing him in their limo. She grins innocently, "Hi dad."

"Are you listening?"

"Always."

Tony can't hold back a smile, cupping her chin, "Love you, Half-Pint. Good thing you're half as cute as I am. It makes you half forgivable."

She sticks out her tongue.

Pepper reaches over their daughter to hold Tony's hand as they exit the vehicle;

"Stay close baby."

Antonia slips out from her parents to dazzle and pose for the crowd. She loves the attention and she knows exactly how to ensure all cameras stay on her.

Tony forces a smile and a wave for a camera, talking through his teeth;

"I hate New York."

Pepper nudges him and forces her own smile, "Don't blame the state...Hold on, you have something on your jacket."

"A tag?"

"Worse,' she licks her thumb and tries to brush the red stain with her finger, 'Ketchup? Really?!"

He sighs and tilts his head, "Anna wanted a cheeseburger!"

"Sure, blame our child."

"Where is she-."

"-Hey! Relax. She's fine. She's working the red carpet like it's her runway...Tony?"

"Pep?"

She smiles, "Seriously; take a breath. Enjoy the evening."

Maria catches his eye and he swears under his breath, "Who invited that-you-know-what."

"She's head of the security team for the evening, remember?"

"No."

Pepper releases a guttural moan, "Hello, Director Hill."

Maria clips her earpiece, "Stark."

He responds with snark, "What other surprises am I going to get pissed off about tonight?"

Maria takes her keycard and swipes to let him inside of the rental space, "Empty your pockets for the metal detector."

"Seriously?" ...The Irony.

Pepper complies and pushes her husband along, "Can you behave, please?"

"It's my party, don't tell me what to do."

. . . . . . . . . .

Izabella tries to enter as confidently as she can, tugging at her long align purple skirt and plain white button down.

There are too many people for her liking but she's present, nevertheless. The confidence vanishes the instant she starts to headcount while tugging at the emerald stone on her necklace for comfort's sake...

The plaques, tech boards and displays remind her of him. Of science conferences and college booths...

She's yet to find a familiar face among the lights, the glitz and glam. It's much less educational and much more 'party'...a little too much 'party' for her liking.

Izabella has no intention of returning to 'hero' duty, but curiosity has taken over. And after texting Steve to confirm her RSVP, she's learned there's someone else attending she's eager to see.