𝐟𝐨𝐮𝐫𝐭𝐡

Steve brought his feet to approach a brunette man pacing back and forth slowly with both of his hands on his hips, waiting for something or someone. The man had this frown on his face, the one Steve knew so much appeared when he held an anger, or when he was in a bad mood, or when he was just caught in a deep thought. He halted on the way, watching the man silently for some moment with a small smile escaping his lips.

His mind forced him back to the day he found Bucky was strapped on a bed in Hydra base. He couldn't imagine if he was late just within seconds. If he couldn't find Bucky before the building crashed down into pieces. He wouldn't forgive himself if anything happened to his best friends.

But, now that his best friend was here with him, standing in front of him, he couldn't be more grateful. To see him alright and in the best version of himself, he was happy and relieved. He just had to pray that fate would stand beside him in this one. So he could feel this happiness longer, so he wouldn't need to shoo away the concern inside his chest, so he wouldn't have to bear the hurt.

A sigh left his mouth before he pushed himself to reach the man, "Hey, Buck."

The sudden voice made him stop his walk. He turned around to see the blonde man, "Ah, Steve. I was just waiting for you." He walked closer to meet the captain in the middle.

"What's with the face?"

Bucky cursed under his breath, pissed off that Steve knew something was wrong just by reading his face. He decided to push the thoughts that kept bothering him, thinking to bring it up later, "It's fine." Smiling bitterly, he put his gaze to Steve's behind for a second before bringing his eyes back to him, "What did Stark show you?"

"Shields. He's decided that if I am to be fighting, I should get a real shield." Steve answered with a soft smile resting on his face, "I picked the round one." He pursed his lips as realization hit him to why he should tell an unnecessary information.

"Ah, a very, very useful weapon." Bucky mocked, nodding his head towards the person in front of him, "Let me guess, you picked that one because you're used to use a trash can lid to guard yourself, which worked very well."

"It's made of vibranium, I tell you, the rarest metal on earth-" Steve was about to quote every single thing Howard Stark told him about the metal when Bucky cut off his words, making him close his mouth in silence.

"Yeah, yeah, I don't really care." Bucky waved his hand carelessly. He was here not to hear about metal and other elements, but to confront his confusion. He set a stern gaze towards Steve one more time, this time with squinted eyes, "Do you-" he paused, making Steve raise his eyebrows, telling him to continue, "Do you happen to have a crush on Agent Carter?"

Steve scoffed, rolling his eyes at the question. He should've known something like this would be considered significant to ask by Bucky when they were supposed to take down nemesis, "Why do you want to know?"

"Because, Steve, you'd been pushing away literally every single damn lady I got for you. And now you're crushing on someone, I won't miss my chance to see the show." Bucky said dramatically, "Agent Carter is fine, though." He continued with a little smirk, only to be receiving the same action from his best friend.

"Oh, I'm certain Lyra would love to hear that."

Eyes widening suddenly at Steve's threat, Bucky threw his hands in the air, "I was joking! No need to bring her up to this." He defended himself, nudging Steve's shoulder lightly. Steve chuckled at his best friend's panic face. Note to self, just mention Lyra's name if he ever planned to take your date, "By the way, I saw Carter walking out from the same room you were in. She looked...pleased. What happened there?"