Chapter 3

All of a sudden, I felt uncomfortable. Just as I was about to grab the door handle, Quen locked the door. Shit, I muttered to myself. I must get away from here. Then, I suddenly remembered something.

“Quen, I think baba na muna ‘ko. Someone’s supposed to fetch me here. Baka magalit ‘yon sa akin.” I reasoned out.

“Boyfriend mo?” His smile faded.

“No. Si Michelle.”

“Si Michelle lang naman pala,” his smile grew wider. “Why don’t you tell her na huwag na lang siya pumunta sa airport. Baka nakakaaksaya lang sa oras niya. And besides, we have some catching up to do.” He winked.

I had no choice but to oblige. I texted Michelle na huwag na lang siyang pumunta sa airport. Then, pinatay  ko ang phone ko. I didn’t want to be bombarded with her ridiculous questions.

Nagtataka lang ako sa ipinapakita ni Quen sa akin. I really didn’t know what I should feel right now. But one thing was certain, I was irritated. How could he not see it? How could he act so casual, so unaffected after all that happened? How could he not see that it’s awkward for both of us? Pero ako lang siguro ang nakakaramdam no’n. Ako lang ang hindi maka-move on.

“Why are you so quite, Hope?” he asked. “You must be really tired, ha.”

                “You finally noticed,” I snapped. My cheeks turned red. I felt so angry. I’m still trying to control my temper, but my voice couldn’t mask how I feel.

                Quen, didn’t ask questions anymore. Tumahimik din siya. I could not read his expression because his eyes were so focused on the road. But I knew that he was completely aware now. I am not happy for what he’s doing. He turned on the radio to drown the silence inside the car. Rock music played.

                “Does he take care of you? Or could I easily fill his shoes. But you say no. You say no.” He sang along. He even made drum movements in the air. The electric guitar interlude filled the silence in the car making the hurt in the singer’s voice subside.

                “She’s got a boyfriend anyway. She’s got a boyfriend anyway.” Quen continued. He’s trying to imitate the way the singer sang the song. I saw him in my peripheral vision that he’s looking at me while he’s singing those words. I tried to ignore him but I felt something stirred in my stomach making me to focus my attention on the buildings that passed.

                “Can you please turn it into another station” I turned to him. “I’m not in the mood for music like that. What’s the title of the song, anyway?” I asked. “No offense meant, but it sounds irritating.” I added. I kinda like the song but I said it only to annoy him. I could see that he liked it.

                He looked at me before he answered. A playful smile occurred in his lips. “Sex,” he answered like he was emphasizing each letter. I quickly turned my eyes away from him. I felt uncomfortable especially when he said those words...like he wanted something from me. I quickly ignored the thought.

                Another song continued to play. And so many thoughts played in my head. I realized that I’m being unreasonable now. That I’m acting like a kid. All those years hadn’t taught me anything and I’m being unfair every minute. Experience was supposed to make you a better person but maybe it only made me worse. I must think like an adult now.

                Seven years had passed and it never taught me anything. Seven years of hatred and ‘what ifs’. It’s time now to correct everything.

                “ Quen, just drop me sa Paris Grand Hotel. After that, huwag ka nang magpakita sa ‘kin.”