Chapter 6-Friends Till the End

Chapter 6- Friends to the End

    We had been on the road for about a month now and Tyler still hadn’t said a single nice thing to me Jake has tried to get us to talk, but Tyler just walks away. “Don’t worry about him.” Samantha said coming up behind me. 

    “Why? He won’t talk to me or even look at me.”

    “He will come around, right now he is just hurt and scarred.” Logically I knew she was right, but I was still scarred that he may never forgive me. 

    “I just want my friend back.”

    “Why don’t you tell him that?” She left me with my thoughts.

    “Let’s get going.” Jake announced. I looked over my shoulder and saw Tyler walking off without looking at me or getting near me. “Cathryn come on we need to get going.” Jake yelled to me.

    “Okay I’m coming.” The past month had been pretty quiet we were heading for the main battle grounds knowing that we had no choice, but to join the battle. “Tyler can we talk please?” I asked coming up beside him. He continued to ignore me. “You can’t pretend I don’t exist forever.” 

    “Go away!”

    “Wow he does speak.”

    “Leave me alone.” He said with venom in every word.

    “I can’t and won’t.” I said stepping in-front of him to make him stop. “I’m sorry I never told you my secret. But, all my life I was taught to never trust easily because no one trusts anyone fully.” By this point everyone had stopped and they were trying to to give us some space to hash this out. “We have to get this figured out.”

    “You should have told us not kept it to yourself. You should have trusted us.”

    “I don’t trust easily you want to know why?” He didn’t answer so I continued. “I never told you how my dad died. His ‘friend’ that he had known for six years, four years before I was born. Hell, he ran away with them when they found out mom was pregnant and guess what. He turned my parents in and told the Government where we were my dad knew something was wrong so mom and I left and he stayed. His friend that he knew and trusted for SIX years killed him and is now a general in the Government’s army.” He didn’t say anything I hoped he understood where I was coming from. “I have only known you guys for three months. I trust you more then anything or anyone, but old habits die hard.”

    “Why did he wait that long to turn you guys in?” Tyler asked me.

    “To be honest? I have no idea I was only two and after that betrayal we never spoke his name.”

    “I guess it makes sense you had only known us for a very short time and you really haven’t had any good examples of trust.” After a moment I asked.

    “Are we good?” He looked at me for a few minutes then he looked down and back up quickly and he started to speak.

    “Yeah we’re good.” We hugged and then AJ being AJ decided to break the ice.

    “Hey, hey get a room will ya!” Everyone started to laugh after we settled down we started to walk again. I didn’t know if we were going to survive this war, but the one thing I did know was that we would be friends till the end.