Chapter Sixteen

Birdpaw felt crushed, even though she already had basically already knew that her "vision but could be a dream" was definitely not a dream. Maybe it was that she thought the medicine cats, Flowerstem in particular, would offer her some comfort. Though when she looked the brown and white medicine cat in the eye, she saw a tiny sparkle of sympathy.

"Do you know when this battle will take place?" asked Whiskerstar, standing up and pacing the exit of the den, losing his calmness from before. Birdpaw shook her head, not trusting her voice in case it came out like a mouse squeak. The grey tabby sighed, ignoring Chiveleaf's grumbles about churning up dirt and making a mess.

"We must prepare," he said, not stopping his pacing, "even though we don't know when it might be. It is always good to be ready. I will ask Stagleap to start preparing training groups so that we can refine out techniques and become better. Flowerstem and Chiveleaf, maybe you could stock up on extra herbs, just in case? And Birdpaw," he added in a softer tone, "I want you not to worry about the battle. Just focus on training and tell us immediately if you find out anything more."

"Bit hard to do that," mused the apprentice, "how can he expect me not to worry? Of course I am going to!" Instead of saying anything out loud, she just nodded.

"Meanwhile," continued the leader, half talking to himself as he still paced, "I will inform all the warriors and apprentice there will be extra training. We will also have to strengthen the dens and ask the queens to run the kits through drills of what happens if the battle comes to camp." The she-cats nodded and Whiskerstar walked briskly out of the den. Birdpaw began to follow but Flowerstem but out her tail to stop her. Birdpaw looked at her puzzled, what did she want to ask?

"I just want you to know," said the medicine cat, hesitating slightly, looking at Chiveleaf before lowering her voice "that you are one of the bravest apprentices that I have known. You must feel so pressured with this power and everything, but you are doing so well. I can't imagine how things would go if somebody had this ability. It is quite a burden but I am proud of you." Birdpaw felt emotion choke her throat and she rushed forward, rubbing heads with the medicine cat.

"Thanks you Flowerstem," she whispered, "that means so much to me." It was true, she wasn't sure if any cats in the clan who knew about her power actually though she was doing a good job. If they though she was just weird and foolish for the ways she reacted.

"Enough of the softness," snapped Chiveleaf, pulling out two purple flowers and breaking the precious moment, "didn't you hear Whiskerstar? We have to gather extra herbs. Chop chop!" Flowerstem pulled away from the apprentice, rolling her eyes, before heading to the back of the den where the cream she-cat was now complaining of rotting juniper berries. Birdpaw pushed through den exit and into the bright sunlight, a big change from the semi-dark den and the brightness burned the apprentice's eyes.

"What did you do this time?" asked a voice and she looked over to her right, seeing Dewpaw walking over to her with a shrew in his mouth. Amusement sparkled in his green eyes but Birdpaw didn't feel like joking at that moment, she was still caught up in her vision. Dewpaw saw her sombre expression and dropped the shrew in front of his paws, worry replacing his amusement.

"What is wrong?" he asked in a concerned voice, moving closer and putting a tail on her shoulder. She looked away from his green eyes, not wanting to tell him the truth but not wanting to lie to him either. He moved away from her side and stood in front of her gaze. She took a deep breath and put a fake smile on her face, though it probably was not very convincing.

"I am fine," she said, sounding more confident than what she felt. She moved away from Dewpaw and towards the camp entrance. She could still feel the tom's rejected and confused gaze watching her but she continued padding on. Maybe fresh air could do her some good, help her to clear her thoughts. She pushed through the ivy tendrils and into the forest, the grass soft under her paws and birdsongs calming.

She wandered around for a while, not sure where she was going. Eventually, she reached the lake, the end of all the Clan's territory but also where the gathering island floated. The clear water lapped at the pebbles on the shore, creating a soft wish-washy sound that calmed Birdpaw's nerves. She sat down and curled her tail around her paws, gazing at the water.

At around sun-high, the apprentice sensed someone else nearby, she looked up and saw Rainshadow emerging from a pair of bushes. He nodded to her and sat down next to her, curling his tail around his paws. There was silence between the two cats before Rainshadow spoke, his voice strangely calming.

"You made a good choice in telling them," he said, not looking at her, instead just gazing across the lake.

"Do you think I should've told Whiskerstar that I saw him in the battle?" asked the apprentice, looking up at the StarClan cat. He didn't reply, nor did he look at her. The silence stretched out between the two cats before Birdpaw confessed.

"I am scared Rainshadow," she whispered, looking down at her black paws, "I don't know what to do."

"Don't be," he replied in his deep rumbling voice, looking down at her, "we are here to help you every step of the way. You do are doing perfectly anyway." Birdpaw smiled at him and they both gazed out at the lake.