Chapter Eight

"I can't believe I am going to the Moonpool tonight!" squealed Birdpaw for the billionth time that afternoon. She crouched down and lapped up the herbs in front of her, which she had been told were sorrel, daisy, chamomile and burnet. They apparently kept up your strength on long journeys and kept you from becoming hungry. Unfortunately, they were not the nicest tasting things but even the disgusting herbs could damped the apprentice's happiness. Both Flowerstem and Whiskerstar, who were also coming, purred at the apprentice's enthusiasm and lapped up their herbs, the grey tabby tom wincing at the taste of the herbs.

"Now," said Chiveleaf, her normal grumpy self and not at all excited about Whiskerstar receiving his nine lives, "remember not to take any mouse-brained risks because you will be far outside clan territory and no one will be able to help you. Also remember to not start any fights with other Clan cats as you will passing through their territory. Also don -".

"We know Chiveleaf," meowed Flowerstem, smiling at her former mentor, "you don't need to remind us again. I promise everyone will come back in one piece." The older medicine cat rolled her eyes and huffed something under her breath. The young medicine cat rubbed heads with Chiveleaf before turning back to her Clanmates. The three cats pushed through the ivy dangling at the front of the medicine cat den and into the camp, the afternoon sunlight streaming through the trees. The whole Clan was waiting in the clearing and as the travellers emerged out of the den, they began to meow excitedly.

"Good luck Whiskerstar!"

"Stay safe!"

"You will be a great leader!"

"Can I be deputy?"

"Honeypaw, get your tail out of my ear!"

The three cats made their way to the camp exit, waving their tails in fair well to their Clanmates. A cream figure rushed out of the crowd and skidded to a halt in front of Birdpaw and it turned out it was Dewpaw.

"Stay safe," he whispered, his voice barely able to be heard over the loud meowing of the Clan.

"I will, don't you worry," she replied, and ran out of camp to catch up with Flowerstem and Whiskerstar. The adventure had begun.