🍪 Cookie Theif 🍪

The only light source in the darkened room flickers inconsistently as it swings slowly back and forth from the chain which attaches it to the ceiling above.

I slam my hands down upon the silver metal table in the centre of the room with great force, knocking over my half drunk plastic water bottle off of its podium of steel.

"I'll ask again." My voice low and with a strict tone to it, "who ate the last cookie?"

My gaze pierces towards the suspect sitting awkwardly in front of me, her posture is stiff, back pressed up against the back of the metallic chair. Her hands are close to her chest while her feet try to remain planted, but her legs aren't long enough for the chair and only the tips of her toes grace the old wooden floor's presence.

"W-we have cookies?" The girl stutters, her hands shake slightly as she speaks. Her eyes look up at me, fear flooding out, yet tears remain locked within as she attempts to hold her own. "Th-that's cool." She speaks again, her voice is soft and soothing to the ear.

"That didn't answer my question though, who ate the last cookie?" I lean my weight against the table as I inch a little closer to the girl. Her silvery white hair frames her olive face, and her aquamarine eyes stare at me as though they want to cry rivers of tears.

"Who ate the last cookie! Oh gosh! That's horrible!" The girl gasps, quickly placing her hands to her face as a look of surprise crosses it. "Maybe you should let me go now since you've solved your case already."

I push forwards against the table and shift my weight back to my feet as I revert to a standing up right position. I bring my left hand up and with my thumb and pointer finger, I rub my temples gently.

"Lili," I breathe out slowly. "I know it's you who ate the last cookie." I remove my hand from my face and look towards the girl.

Her face drops from her surprise, she bites down on her bottom lip and her gaze shifts to the floor beside her. She brings her hands back to her chest, in closed fists, she pokes out her pointer fingers and presses them together.

"I-I..." her gaze shifts back to me as tears stream down her face. "I didn't know it was the last one, if I did I would have shared. I'm sorry Dee-Dee! Please don't hate me."

I release another sigh from my lips as I watch her melt into a confession. I knew it was her all along. But I didn't think she'd crack so easily.

I stroll over to beside her and hold my hand out.

"Hey, why don't we go bake some cookies together? Does that sound like fun?"

She nods her head and takes my hand.

Together, hand in hand, we walk to the kitchen to make some more cookies.

[ 500 Words Completed

[ 500 Words Completed. ]

Characters are Life and Death from my ONC 2021 story. Written for JustWriteItDay March 7-8.