Aldin and the New World

"What is this place?" Aldin asked.

"This is Antartica." Jamie replied.

"Is that a joke?"

"No. Why?"

"No, that's a joke. You're being sarcastic. Aren't you?"

"I'm giving you a straight answer." Jamie said confidentally.

"I....uh...well whatever."

"Before we go anywhere, I have to ask you. Do you know why I brought you here?"

"You said I needed a chance to redefine myself."

"That's right. Now when you look around, what do you see?"

Aldin examined the outside street once again. "Opportunity." He said.

"Opportunity in what sense? The people have opportunity to use more technological advancements? There's opportunity in a better moral society? Explain."

"It kinda sounds selfish now...but I meant opportunity for me to start over with people I've never met. Its kinda scary, but at the same time it feels like a relief that no one knows how embarrassing I can be. It almost makes me feel confident. It DOES make me feel confident."

"And thats because you're somewhere new, right?"

"...yeah."

"That's a good thought. Though, I do need to tell you right away, don't be upset if that new place isn't what you imagined."

"What do you mean?"

"You say you're glad to be here because you want to start over and try to make a new image of yourself. That's good. Though, you have to factor in whether or not that place is accepting in the first place. I brought you here to help you understand what you are asking for. With that being said, we have to find someone."

"Who?"

"Don't worry. Its someone I trust." Jamie said.

"You never give me a straight answer."

"You shouldn't get used to straight answers." Jamie smiled at Aldin and patted his back and pushed him along. "Come on. Let's go find that 'someone.'"

Aldin and Jamie walked until they approached a large library. The library was massive enough to have 50 feet high double doors. The doors rumbled as they opened and the inside immediately lit up. Inside were brown walls and shelves 50 feet high on both his left and right sides. Jamie walked into the library as Aldin examined the room. He saw different colors of books on each shelf. Out of curiosity, he walked over to one.

"Whoa....this place is huge." Aldin walked over towards one of the shelves of books. "There must be thousands of books." He reached for, what he thought was a blank red book cover. He pulled it out and inside was a long red binder that held dozens of small books compressed on the binder. Each of them with writing so small they were impossible to distinguish. Aldin, caught off guard by the weight of the binder, dropped it on the floor, and the binder, and most of its pages flopped on the ground. The clear plastic pages holding the books in it broke off the binder and fell in a disorganized pile on the floor. Dozens of open books fell on the floor losing their order. "Oh no..."

"Aldin." Jamie called. Aldin looked over at Jamie and a shock went through his spine and through his back and arms. He felt hot and tingling in his fingers. He found it hard to avoid shivering. He started to stutter and breath in short bursts, and his heart beat got so strong he could hear it in his ears.

"I-I'm sorry! I didn't mean to do-I saw the thing and I was. I-"

"This way." Jamie said with a smile.