3 | goblet of fire

"Anything from the trolley?" the women asked as she stopped outside of the compartment that the four of them were sharing.

"Packet of drewballs and a liquorice wand," Ron replied. He pulled out his money and held it in his palm before looking up at the women, "On second thought, just the drewballs."

"It's alright," Harry spoke up as he stuffed his hand into his pocket, "I got it."

"Just the drewballs," Ron announced before trading the money for candy. "Thanks."

Cho Chang, a Ravenclaw from their year approached the trolley where it was stopped outside the compartment. "Two pumpkin pasties please," she requested. She caught Harry's eye and smiled before facing the trolley lady, "Thank you."

"Anything sweet for you, dears?" the women asked Harry and Abigail.

"Oh, no," Harry answered, glancing back at Abigail who appeared as though she'd rather be anywhere else. "Thank you, we're not hungry."

As soon as the door closed, Hermione spoke up. "This is horrible," she pointed out, "How can the Ministry not know who conjured it. Isn't there security or...or something?"

"Loads, according to dad," Ron explained as he chewed a drewball. "That's what has them worried so much," he went on, "Happened right under their noses."

Abigail watched Harry curiously for a moment. It was clear that his scar was hurting him but he tried to play it off. He looked up at her and he frowned to which she said, "How about a game of exploding snaps?"

Harry seemed grateful for the distraction and Ron nodded eagerly. Hermione huffed, "This is serious. It's not something to try and avoid talking about."

"Speaking of Sirius," Abigail seemed to remember as she reached into her bag and pulled out an envelope. She pulled out a piece of paper and handed it to Harry, "My father sent that along with a letter to me. It's from Snuffles."

Harry appeared excited at this as he took the letter from her. Any letters Sirius had for Harry or Harry had for Sirius went through Abigail. They thought it best to have it in the same envelope so in the off chance anything happened, they would just assume it was to or from Abigail and nothing more. Besides, it made it so that her father didn't question how often she wrote to the boy which was often.

Dear Harry,

Abigail has informed me as to what happened at the Quidditch World Cup. Or rather she told her father and he told me.

I want to hear from you what exactly happened. I know you two were separated and it's important that we know exactly what happened. And your scar. Does it still hurt?

Sirius

Harry looked up after he finished reading it and addressed Abigail, "Your dad's with Sirius?"

Abigail hesitated, "He is."

"You've been staying with him?" he inquired and even he could hear the jealousy that was laced in his tone.

"Harry, he would have you live with him if it were allowed but-"

He huffed, a frown crossing his face, "I know. It just sucks."

She frowned before pulling out a piece of parchment paper and a quill out for him. "Go ahead and write to him now," she suggested, "I still haven't responded to my father and I can send them together."

He smiled tightly at the girl before taking the materials and setting to work on the letter.

"Now we're all settled in and sorted, I'd like to make an announcement," Dumbledore announced and the room fell silent. "This castle will not only be your home this year but home to some very special guests as well. You see Hogwarts has been chosen-"

Filch ran, or rather limped, up the aisle and whispered something Dumbledore's ear before quickly leaving. "So Hogwarts has been chosen to host a legendary event," he continued as though nothing happened. "The triwizard tournament."

The hall buzzed with conversation, "Now for those of you who do not know, the triwizard tournament brings together three schools for a series of magical contests. From each school a single contestant is selected to compete. Now let me be clear, if chosen you stand alone. And trust me when I say these contests are not for the faint hearted, but more of that later. For now please join me in welcoming the lovely ladies of the Beauxbatons Academy of magic and their headmistress Madam Maxime."

A group of girls all dressed in blue danced up the aisle and butterflies were released into the air. The girls bowed and everyone applauded them before they took a seat.

"And now our friends from the north, please greet the proud sons of Durmstrang and the headmaster Igor Karkaroff."

A group of boys walked up the aisle twirling around bo-staffs and periodically stabbing them into the ground creating a spark.

"Blimey it's him," Ron gaped, "Viktor Krum!

"Your attention please!" Dumbledore's voice boomed across the hall, "I would like to say a few words. Eternal glory, that is what awaits the student who wins the triwizard tournament. But to do this that student must survive three tasks. Three extremely dangerous tasks."

"Wicked," Fred grinned.

"For this reason the ministry has seen fit to impose a new rule. To explain all this we have the head of the department of international magic cooperation Mister Bartimus Crouch."

Thunder boomed from the sky and rain began to leak through the roof. A man appeared at the doorway and magically sealed the roof.

"Bloody hell," Ron commented, "it's Mad-Eye Moody."

"Alastor Moody?" Hermione inquired, "The auror?"

"He was a catcher. Half the cells in Azkaban are full thanks to him," he explained, "He's supposed to be mad as a hatter though these days."

Moody limped up the aisle and Abigail watched him as he did so. She felt as though he were watching them even when he was facing the opposite direction.

"My dear old friend," Dumbeldore greeted, "Thanks for coming."

"That stupid roof," he muttered before taking a drink from his canteen.

"What's that he's drinking do you suppose?" a Gryffindor commented.

"I don't know but I don't think it's Pumpkin Juice."

Barty stepped up to the podium, "After much deliberation the ministry has concluded that for their own safety no student under the age of seventeen shall be allowed to put forth their name for the triwizard tournament. This decision is final."

The crowd erupted with boos and angry comments.

"That's rubbish!" George exclaimed, "You don't know what you're doing!"

"Silence!" Dumbeldore demanded before he unveiled the goblet. "The Goblet of Fire. Anyone wishing to submit themselves for the tournament merely write their name upon a piece of parchment and throw it in the flame before this hour on Thursday night. Do not do so lightly, if chosen there's no turning back. As from this moment the tri-wizard tournament has begun."

The students were all dismissed to their houses and complaints could be heard throughout the halls.

"I don't understand why they decided to bring back the competition to begin with," Abigail stated as they settled down in the common room. "They canceled it for a reason, didn't they?"

"I'm sure there's a reason they brought it back," Ron pointed out, "It's kind of awesome that we're here when they brought it back, isn't it? Even if we're not old enough to compete yet."

"Yeah," Abigail agreed offhandedly as she stared off into the fire, "Awesome."