Chapter 2: A Foreign Voice

Pushing past people was hell. Men tackling others who filled the path. Motionless lives lay spread across the floor as panicking ones trampled over them.
I was a rouge wave in the current of the people. Pushing south while everyone else was rushing north. It got to the point where I had to climb over airport furniture and run on the sidelines.
Smoke filled my lungs. Smoke burned my eyes. Smoke corrupted all of my senses and left me chemically unbalanced. Becoming engulfed, I trudged onward.
Ceiling sprinklers sprayed water upon my clothes. Bodies of water soaked the floor. Sounds of feet splashing in and out of puddles mixed with cries of separated families arose in the grayness.
As I moved past the thick crowd, a voice of a small child sounded in the distance. "Daddy!" she cried. "Help Daddy!" Her voice echoed around the room. I could barely see about 10 feet ahead of me. "Somebody please, help me! My foot! It's stuck!" she screamed.
I wanted to help, but I needed to find Jenn, and I didn't have a clue on where she could be.
I stood there for a moment, hesitating.
"Honey where are you?" A man sounded from an unknown place. He too, echoed all around me.
"Daddy! Daddy I'm here, by the wall! My foot is caught under something!" She cried.
"Maria you're going to have find something on the floor next to you, okay? When you do, you need to start banging it on the floor. Daddy needs a better idea of where you're at, okay? Can you do that Honey?" The man calmly announced.
"Okay. Okay. I think I got something."
BANG! BANG! BANG!
The loud noise pierced my ears as it flew all around me.
"Keep going Baby! I think I'm getting closer!"
BANG! BANG! BANG!
"Maria!"
"Daddy!"
"Its okay Honey, Daddy's gotcha. Nothing bad is going to happen alright? Now, what's the matter again?"
"Okay. It's my foot. It's stuck."
CRACK!
A hideous sound came from a direction I was clear of, above. Metal grinding on metal and wood popping and burning.
"Daddy, what was that?" Cried Maria.
"Nothing Honey, we just gotta get you out of here."
He started to groan as the shuffling of rubble sounded.
"It's too heavy!" The man exhausted.
He tried again. And again. And again.
"Somebody help us, please!" He yelled.
During the duration of their conversation, I noticed I had gone still. The whole situation had temporally paralyzed me.
"Please!" Cried Maria.
Maybe it was my subconscious, but my body started sprinting in the seemingly right direction of the warped voices.
RIP!
BOOM!
This time the sound was heard from the ceiling, then the floor.