Chapter 5: An Opening

"We have to find a way out!" Said the man. "We can't stay in here much longer." He yelled through gasps of air.
"I know. I know. I just need to find her. Then I can leave." I told him.
"I understand that. And I would love to help you. But face it man, do you really believe she's still in here? You think she's just waiting in here for you to come save her? You know what I believe? I believe that Jenn, with many others, got out as soon as they heard the commotion. They all slipped through the crowd and made their way to the north entrance. We've traveled so far, and none of the bodies here are hers." He said as he set Maria down and looked me in the eye. As I heard his words, part of me wanted to believe him, well all of me did, but for some reason, I couldn't. The smoke came in contact with my watering eyes, causing them to sting.
"But what if she's still in here? What if I leave this building along with her in it, trapped. I would never forgive myself." I said to the man, and to myself.
He looked me dead in the eyes with a face of sorrow and regret. He knew the odds of her being alive were slim, but he wanted to lift my spirits. For a moment, if only a few seconds, we stayed. Eyes on eyes, souls intertwined. We were connected on a level in which façades of emotions tried to replace the real horror that lurked beyond. Everything we'd do for now on had dire consequences. We both understood what that meant.
"At the first opportunity, you guys can leave. I'm not going without her." I said while clenching my fists and wiping my tearing eyes.
"You're brave. You're mad." He said. "But I'm not leaving here until you do. Without your help, my daughter and I would have probably been killed back there. I can't just abandon the person who saved my life."
There was a moment of silence between us until he spoke again, "We'll go with you. To find her. To find Jenn."
I nodded and signaled to keep moving. Maria hopped on her father's back, and we started off again.

Ditches in the floor were appearing a lot more frequently now. The fire seemed to be having a constant race with us, seeing who could run the fastest. It always kept a few meters in front. Sometimes it was wicked too. As we swerved clear of its path, it'd intrude into ours. Causing us to halt and reevaluate directions, this fire was playing a cruel joke. A joke that was costing us time. Time that we very much did not have. Our whole lives were in the hands of a set of flames younger than 15 minutes, yet they already knew how to toy with and irritate humans. But there is no flicker of fire to blame the destruction except the monsters who ignited it. The questions I pondered as we ran: Who did this? Was this an attack? An accident?

Heaven knows.

We came across a ditch that had completely cut us off from its opposite side. Within this ditch were flaming pillars and debris, but on further inspection, a more natural light. Sunlight. The fault in the ground had not only been within the airport, it swallowed the outside world as well. The crack was enormous enough for one person at a time to vault into it and slip out through the other side, to daylight.
I turned to the man and said, "Now. This is your chance. I helped you for a reason. Please, you should go now."
"We are not leaving." He said firmly.
As I read his face, I could tell he was falsely assuring his preference of wanting to remain here. Who wouldn't want to leave this hellhole?
"No. The intention of me helping you guys was not to gain some type of 'Now you owe me.' dominance. I heard your daughter, and I knew I had to do anything I could to help rescue her. I do not wish to be the reason she is put in danger again." I countered. "Think about your daughter."
Both of our eyes shifted towards Maria. She stood at the man's waist, holding his hand. She met my gaze with a pleading look.
"Very well. If that's what you wish, then so be it." He said, regretfully relieved.
"Best of luck to you Candon." He added, "I hope you find her."
" To you too. And I will." I said. This time I felt the confidence behind my own words.

I will.

Before letting Maria into the ditch, the man slid himself down into it. He landed atop some un-lit remains of the concrete beneath the tiled floor. From his position, he could inch his way all the way to the wall and go under it, into the open. Once he checked the stability, he asked for me to help lower Maria down. I grabbed her waist and hoisted her into the air, only to lower her below my feet. Her father got ahold of her and set her on her the floor beside him. They looked up at me one last time.
"God bless you." Maria said. "I've always wanted to meet my mommy, but today's not the day."
Water, once again, filled my eyes. This little girl has been through so much. No one her age should see the things she's seen. They neared the wall.
"God bless, the both of you!" I yelled back. I looked up from them for a moment. On the opposite end of the ditch hung a sign that read "Bathrooms". My heart raced a little faster as I read it. Hope was building within my body.
BOOM!
A loud noise sounded from my right, and I quickly adjusted my eyes back towards my companions. In that split second, the wall they were approaching exploded.

The wall they were under.