03 ; andrey rublev

a/n: lol there's an unnecessary amount of cursing 🙏🏻 its also kinda slow lol and also an emotional roller coaster.... its really similar to my zverev oneshot for some reason pls. im gonna make a part two for this NFJEIRGN but i'll prbly write fluff after- i gotta finish the part two for the domi one shot too tho i wont forget!!!!!!!!!!!!! anyways enjoy.

edit: this was written before i found out zverev was an abuser - i don't support him as a player or as a person :/

y/n l/n was one of the most notable players on the junior tour. being the junior world no. 1 for 3 years straight was an accomplishment that had people placing high standards and exceeding expectations for her. when the girl turned pro, she was flying up the rankings, winning seven titles during her two years on the wta tour - only being 19 and 20 in those two years. y/n was seen to be a popular friend group consisting of the "next-gen" atp players, including alexander zverev, daniil medvedev, and andrey rublev.

she was a naturally talented player who had access and connections to make it big in the tennis industry. she had everything - money, skill, talent, charisma - why did she abandon tennis just hours before her quarterfinal wimbledon match?

--

it was a sunny day in melbourne, australia where the air had been filled with excitement about the upcoming australian open quarterfinals. yet two people seemed to have different thoughts on that.

"i can't believe you ghosted me for a year and a half then decided to randomly show up outside my hotel room as nothing ever happened." sascha zverev summed up the events of the past few minutes, pacing across his unusually large suite. y/n looked up at the taller guy and shrugged, opening the box of cookies left on the coffee table.

"just came by to say hello to my good friend, ya know?" she grinned, taking a bite of the cookies that she had reminisced as sascha's favorite snack.

"at least your shitty personality didn't change," the german stated sarcastically. y/n raised her eyebrows and curiously replied, "is that supposed to be a compliment or.... ?"

"nope." he remarked, taking a seat on the armchair in front of the couch that his friend sat. "good friends do not ignore all of my messages. you know you have a lot of damage control to do. you're lucky i'm a chill guy," his expression turning serious, contradicting what he just said, making y/n chuckle.

"i know, that's why i came to you first," y/n admitted, letting out a big sigh and leaning back onto the couch - starting to get a bit nervous. when sascha got serious, he didn't hold back.

"you fucked up, y/n, i hope you know that. if andrey catches a glimpse of you, you're literally gonna make him lose his next match." sascha emphasized, trying to get his words to stick with the girl's head.

"no shit, i know, i know. i'm not planning to anyways. i was dumb and selfish, thinking that if i had left my old life behind, no one would care," y/n confessed, fidgeting with her bracelet, "i had my own problems that no one knew about, not even andrey at the time. when i realized that i fucked up, it was too late. i knew that everyone had moved on or still held anger for me."

before he could retort, y/n stood up as sascha's gaze followed her. she placed her hand on the doorknob before she turned around and continued, "we can talk... some other time"

--

(first person lolz)

i slowly walked into the crowded place that was the rod laver arena, looking around like a lost kid. it wasn't my first time here, hell i've been here more times than i can even count yet i felt so in my head. i have no idea whether proceed with watching the match is a good idea and it's even worse when i got good court-level seats where the players would be able to easily see me.