04 ; denis shapovalov

a/n: this book literally is the highlight of my life rn bc tennis is hard PLSSNWKD cant buy a first serve, wish nick could help me man 🙏🏻 anyways enjoy this sweet fic with a sweet boy 😩

this is just a messy chp full of boyfriend scenarios 🥳

-

"denis shapovalov is one of the rising stars in tennis right now. how do you think he will compare to the next of next gen in the future?"

you scroll through twitter, reading different things about your boyfriend, some good and some not so much. it always bothered you when someone said something negative about him because you saw how much the pressure got to him. nonetheless, the media wasn't as relentless to him as they are to some other players you've acquainted yourself with.

even though you two are always far apart, denis  always finds time out of his day to talk to you and see how you're doing. being in university wasn't the ideal situation but you began not to mind it too much, especially during the pandemic. you and denis had spent quarentine together in his house in the bahamas, doing online school while he trained. some days, you would even go to the courts with him and hit with him (even if you were kinda bad). you guys had a lot of time to spend, getting closer than even and chilling with the cats.

denis is the type of boyfriend who's always wanting to hear your voice and constantly wants to be around you - aka he's clingy. he hasn't gone a day without calling you and you found it really comforting that he takes time out of his busy schedule to check up on you while you drown in essays and lectures. he even goes on surprise visits to your apartment in montreal in the middle of the season which are always enjoyable.

he's also like really cringey and clueless.... in a good way. he does not understand meme culture at all and when you send him things you find funny, he'll respond with "...i don't get it" which makes you laugh and makes him feel really confused. he'll also comment really cheesy and cliche things on your instagram posts and it drives you nuts. (he still doesn't know why it annoys you😭)

during the summer, he'll bring you to a bunch of tournaments since you're off from school and you are the most anxious person in his players box. everytime he hits a shot long or hits a double fault, you'll make a face or let out a really loud noise and it's something that drives denis insane. but it motivates him because he really wants to impress you.

when you are able to go to tournaments, the post-match routine is something you cherish. it's always fun to see different parts of the world. so after a nice win, you two go sightseeing around the city, finding really fun spots and trying out really good food places that you saw on instagram. you guys always tried to make your trips interesting and memorable.

but if you aren't there, you'll facetime him or send him a long text on how proud you are of how good he was. it brings a big smile to denis' face :) you'll also text him a bunch of places to go visit with his team. (he'll send you like 20 photos)

if he came out with a loss, you guys usually stay in your hotel room under the fluffy blankets that always cost you both extra kg at the airport. you'd either watch a movie marathon or have a really long talk about random stuff (one time you were having the goat debate and it lasted the whole night 💀) while ordering takeout. it got his mind off everything and let him reset for whatever was next.

speaking of takeout, that's mostly what you guys eat since you're too lazy to cook and dennis can't cook. he tried to cook you breakfast on your birthday but triggered the smoke detector because he left the bacon for too long... you laughed at him mercilessly for a while until you ended calling room service.

his rap career is much debated between the both of you. you hesitantly promoted drip on your story when it was released yet you get second hand embarrassment whenever someone actually plays it. he actually really like rapping so you don't bully him for it too much. although, you yell at him all the time for blasting shitty rap music while he takes showers.

the worst moments are when you both get into fights. both of you are super argumentative and want to be right... like all the time. denis gets super heated and raises his voice while you're more stubborn yet logical. but when ends up with you crying, it immediately turns off his anger levels and he switches up mad fast. he'll say something like "hey, don't cry, okay? i'm sorry for getting mad at you like that." and gives you a big hug 🥺

"what's on your mind?" said a curious voice, approaching me from behind. i looked over my shoulder, seeing my favorite blonde and my lips tugged into a smile, "nothing much really."

denis and i stood next to each other on the balcony of our hotel room, looking at the stunning dubai sunset. the view of the city was breathtaking, something that seemed so surreal.

"the view's pretty, don't you think?" i asked him, laying my head on his shoulder as he slipped his arm around my waist, pulling me closer to him. the chilling wind blew past us as the orange sun lit up the sky.

"not as pretty as you," he smirked, earning a soft chuckle from me. "that's too cliché denis." i told the blonde canadian who stood besides me. "i'll be as cliché as i want," denis responded. i rolled my eyes with a grin.

he softly planted his lips on my forehead and we enjoyed the pretty sunset, feeling like there was no one else in the world.