3. THE RING EYED CHASE

Raman still shook, clutched onto the gold coin tightly in his hand. He then called Gunka several times but with no response. After his futile efforts to have Gunka open the door, Raman headed back.

    With faint gleams of candle-light beaming out of the windows, Raman walked through the dark colonies, still struggling with his thoughts to go back and check on Gunka. Raman took one final look at the back of the house and marched forward. Crossing over the colonies, he entered the village market. The market was on the verge of closure: with the Dhaba moving tables and chairs inside, the florist packing the un-sold flowers, and Tarun serving the last cup of hot tea. Raman hardly remembered that he had not worked today; he had no money to give Uncle Prem. All he could think of was Gunka and the monal ... why was he so afraid? and the bird — coming back ...

    It made no sense to him.

    Rustling with his thoughts, Raman reached home. The front door was open; Raman dashed straight to his room, ignoring Uncle Prem.

    Uncle Prem's beady eyes widened as he watched Raman walk past him, his question: un-answered.

    Raman was so lost, he did not even hear Uncle Prem asking about the money. Instead, he went right in, locked his room, and lay in his bed. He closed his eyes, but his mind ran back to Gunka. In unrest, he stood up and peered out of the window. The sky was in the darkest shade of blue with scattered stars twinkling. The Jhilai mountain, still and calm. The dark clouds which usually dangled had swayed, and the birds were absent. A bitter thought raced Raman's mind — what if Gunka was telling the truth — if the birds were fluttering back to his house, now ... Somewhere between his puzzled thoughts, he dozed off.

    Sun rays were glittering past the windowpane when a loud bang against the door haltered Raman's sleep. Prem was ranting behind the door, "Raman ... get up, you lazy slacker ... where is the money? Why haven't you waken up... yet?"

    Raman rubbed his eyes open. He had a sudden realisation; he had overslept. He jumped out of his bed and unlocked the door to Uncle Prem's red face, drenching in sweat. Uncle Prem's face swelled every time he thought beyond his wits: and today was the beginning of one such day.

    "Where is the money?" he bellowed. Raman cast a dazed look at him, acting as if he had not heard him. Uncle Prem repeated, raising his hand out to him, "Where?"

    "I don't have any ... " muttered Raman.

    Uncle Prem's face went from red to white in split-seconds. He levelled up to Raman. With his face starting to swell, he asked, "What do you mean?" With Uncle Prem's eyes widening on him, Raman went on summarising everything that had happened. But Prem was unmoved. He did not seem to care — if there was an old man or something had happened at Jhilai long back, or some bird named monal was haunting the man.

    All he barked after Raman's exhilarating recounting was, "Listen, you foolish boy... Let me tell you something. Neither that old man nor that monal is going to pay off your bills to Kajju ... if you keep wandering like this, you will soon be homeless ..." a tiny smear appeared around his fat lips as he continued, "then you can roam and meet as many old men as you desire ..."

    Raman's face fell at the speed of a comet racing toward earth. Stumbling a response, he said, "It won't happen again ... Uncle," Bowed head, he walked back to his room, letting Uncle Prem have a moment of accomplishment. After getting ready for work, Raman left his house, waving a customary good-bye to Uncle Prem.

    The sky was encrusted with clouds as the sun played hide-n-seek. Raman mused on his way, thinking of all sorts of jobs that would double his wage. He jumped up the slope and scampered down the damp route. As he closed onto the Jhilai, something happened.

    The wind blew swiftly, trees rustled, and the same melody flowed through his ears. Raman froze in his spot. He looked over his shoulder: on his left was the Jhilai mountain, crowned in clouds and birds. A shiver ran down his body. He sped away from Jhilai. But, as his pace rose, so rose the music. He could feel someone chasing after him. The clouds above him thundered, sealing the sun completely. The sky was painted dark, and soon little drizzles soaked everything beneath.

    The music had stopped, as suddenly as it had stopped back at Gunka's house. It could not be a good thing, Raman thought. He took a halt to listen closely: only the patter of rain meddled with the silence, now. Raman took a deep sigh, thinking he was safe again. But the next moment, from his left, roaring flaps drew in. He was struggling to catch sight when he saw something ... green and coppery — something that he had seen not long back. The hair on his head stood, and his heart froze as almost dozens of Himalayan monals came toward him with their wings flapping furiously.

    Raman wheeled around in an instinct to run; his frozen heart started leaping heavily in his chest. Behind him was another flock of fluttering monals. A twelve-year-old brain did not comprehend the situation well, making Raman bolt straight into the forest — the forest of the forbidden Jhilai mountain. Raman hiked breathlessly into the woods as the rain danced wickedly on the beats of the clouds. He was too scared to look back. Too confused to look forward clearly. But, the continuing melody made him jump, sprint, glide, and duck his way through the dense forest. The dark skies and soaked grass made it very difficult for him to keep pace. After running for what seemed like half-n-hour, Raman decided to look back: if the birds were still after him(he was unsure). Lastly, he did stop.

    With a quivering heart, he turned his head. The rain stopped. Raman took one step forward, in the backward direction. He heard the leaves swirling above him. As his eyes reached the height, they enlarged. Above him stood a Himalayan pine, and on it was the same green monal, clawing against the lower branch, peering down at him. Raman jumped in his feet and ran in the opposite direction....

    BAM!