4. AN EVENING WITH THE SHADOW

Raman's head smashed into the lower branch of a Banyan tree: he fell flat on the grass, unconscious. The monal flew down gently, landing on Raman's chest. Its ringed blue eyes, gazing as if to check he was out, for real. Several hours had passed; with the dawned sun, the town hushed back to their homes. No one knew what had happened in the forest of Jhilai, or where Raman was — frankly, no one even noticed him missing, not even Uncle Prem, as he sipped on cheap whiskey and dozed off in his sofa by the kitchen.

    Raman opened his eyes to the dark forest, his head still hurting from the blow. As he moved his body, it resisted. It took him a moment to realise that his body was tethered to a tree with nothing but old twigs. He moved his hands to get out of them, but they were restraining. Raman looked around the forest: it was dark and gloomy except at places where the light from the crescent moon shone. Black clouds glided over, turning the jungle dimmer. Raman gasped; His mind ran all sorts of possibilities — who could have done this...? Was it the shadow — he had heard of ... the one that protects the Mountain? What if it was going to feast on him — tonight. Was it the monal? But — that is absurd — how could a bird do it? Or could it? His terrified anticipations kept him far away from dozing.

    After another hour, cold winds glided, whipping Raman's face. His strained eyes, struggling as he kept them open. He had closed them minutely when the melody shot back in. But this time, soft and low. Raman's brow pickled, the hair on the back of his head rose as he spotted a monal flying to him. The monal fluttered momentarily in the air, and then it rested on Raman's left thigh. Raman's body cringed. He whimpered, "Please don't hurt me ... please, good bird ... sweet bird — don't come near ... please,"

    But, the monal stood rooted, where it was. Its ringed eyes, growing deeper and deeper as it gazed into Raman's eyes. Raman could feel himself getting hypnotised in its gaze — or was it just his mind playing tricks: He could not tell. So, he looked away to be sure. But what stood next to him was far worse than the monal leering at him.

    An enormous shadow cast from behind the tree landed, right next to Raman. A shadow so deformed, Raman couldn't decide who it belonged to — human or animal. As he craned his head to check — there was nothing — no one... Raman's tiny heart sank. His eyes flickered, and his lips trembled, "Hello ...? Who's there?" In fearful breaths, he continued, "Please God ... please don't hurt me,"

    A cold, evil cackle rocked the air.

    Raman winced at once. He stumbled another response, this time trying to sound brave, "I'm just a small boy ... I mean no harm —

    "Oh! But you are —" Came a chilly voice from behind. "So little, so tiny ... yet harmful, my dear," continued the voice of deadly calm. The monal looked strangely pleased.

    Raman pressed his lips to stifle a shriek. No matter how brave he had thought of himself to be — right now, he was afraid — afraid of what stood behind him ... what would happen to him ... Raman felt as though his stomach had dissolved. He blinked his eyes rapidly — hoping to wake up from this monstrous dream. All his life, he had heard rumours of a dark shadow that lived on the mountain ... and here he was close to a real-life experience with it ... it was real — and standing next to him. If the stories were true (he thought), will his soul be embraced too, just like the others — in the mountain — lost forever.... Raman shut his eyes hard, wishing to wake up from this nightmare.

    "This is no dream ... child," hissed the silhouette from behind the tree.

    Raman wrenched his eyes open and gasped with trembling lips, "If — if you'd just untie me ... I swear ... I shall not return ... ever again,"

    "If you were to leave ... why did you come?" the figure said cheerily.

    Raman gulped, "I did not, I was ... it was a mistake ... I was going —

    The shadow interjected with a rattle that flew the birds off their nests, hovering off in the murky skies above Raman, "Humans ... make no mistakes, all is motive ... you too have one, maybe you don't know it — yet,"

    Raman twisted his body into futile attempts of breaking away. He begged, "Please ... just let me go, I'm not a bad boy. I've hurt no one. Please, the mountain — it is for bad people ... you're mistaken —" He thought if the shadow was going to punish him, it could at-least be reasonable. He went on muttering about his daily routine, his Uncle Prem, the Lord Kajju, the monal, and how he accidentally and unintentionally landed here....

    To all his recollecting came no response.

    The monal flickered its wings and flew off(Good sign?).