8. THE MISTY ENCOUNTER

The door stood ajar as silence dawned. Arun and Gunka stood face to face. While Raman edged in the corner, nervously. Arun's mouth hung open, blink less he moved in and squeezed Gunka, crying, "my dad ... my papa ..."

    Gunka shaken to the core, stood still, hands hanging by his body. It was the magic of the words "papa" that brought him back to his senses. His hands raised involuntarily and embraced Arun.

    Raman thought this could be the right time to befriend the monal. So, he took one step forward — the monal took a step further, "loud and clear," said Raman dramatically, "will wait, little bird, for you to appreciate me ..."

    Arun and Gunka laughed, after a long time, seeing Raman have small-talk with the bird. "My dear ... where were you?" said Gunka, plucking himself out of the hug.

    "Not far ... paaa," groaned Raman, "... have been looking at you all this time," said Arun, pointing at the monal.

    Gunka gasped, "You! You sent that bird every day...? I thought the bird was mocking me ...

    "I know," said Arun, "I wanted it to look like that ... else you'd have followed it," Gunka smiled through his tears. His chin was still wet with the sobbing. As day dropped in, they all sat in the house. Arun told Gunka all about his years in the forest. While Gunka cried at almost every story heard. Raman had his laughs on some of the stories — the funny ones, of course. The daylight dwindled, Raman reckoned, it was time for him to leave.

    "I should go," he murmured with a heavy heart. A piece of him wanted to stay. The warmth of a home and the affection of a family was something he had longed for, and it was all going to be over soon.

    "Wait." Roared Arun, rising from his spot, "'m coming with you," Gunka stood too.

    "But why?" Raman asked innocently.

    "I have to leave. Staying here will not be good for anyone," said Arun, grimacing at Gunka.

    "You can't leave," wailed Gunka, walking forward, "I have lived without you, long ... no more,"

    Arun gave a faint smile, "I know papa ... but this is for your good. The town can never have me, and I can't live without the birds... not anymore, the mountain is where I am now," Deep-down Gunka knew he would not stop him. But, he held onto Arun's hand.

    "I am grateful to have met you, Raman. You brought me back to my papa ... " said Arun breaking away from his father's hand and coming toward Raman. Raman did not realize by now, but his nose had turned red, and his eyes bulged out with overflowing water. He leaped in desperate sobs. Arun rushed to him and said, "Don't cry, my dear boy. You have so much to be happy for ... You made an old fellow meet his paa, you made his dream true ... You should never be sad —"

    "But you are going ... how is this a dream come true? You can't live with your father ...?" said Raman grimly.

    "I can ... and I am, I have been living with him, even when at Jhilai. I will always be near, the monal ..." he said, and the monal perched right on his shoulder, "has been my eyes and ears ... to rest of the world this was a sin, to me this is kindness ... I am happy to be there with the birds for the rest of my life, knowing my father is safe ... But to live, here with the evil beings and put my father and birds to danger — I shall not — they deserve better ... not the ugly humans," he promptly added, "I'll visit though ..."

    At this point, Gunka knew his son was not coming back. He gulped on his emotions and said, "Son, you should go ... I'm safe and contented knowing you are with me,"

    Arun and Raman bade their final goodbyes and left Gunka. It was dark again, and the streets gloomed in the darkness. Arun took Raman and the monal along, skimming through the village streets. As they reached Raman's house, he stopped and asked, "will I never see you again?"

    A laugh broke on Arun's dull face, he answered, "the birds will always guide you to me ... come anytime,"

    Raman smiled back. Something told him he was going to meet Arun again. Arun raised his hand for a wave — but Raman jumped in for a hug. Arun slid his hand in his pocket and produced a red pouch. He presented it to Raman, "Keep it,"

    "What's —

    "Something of use, maybe more to you than me," said Arun, twinkling down at him.

    Raman slid it in his trouser and went on, looking back at Arun. He stopped abruptly and called, "Arun ..."

    "Yes?" said Arun, turning back.

    "Um ... How old was your monal ... you said?"

    Arun's grin multiplied. He turned around and went on saying, "I never did ...

    In a flash, he was gone