The Trials of Elation (Jack 'Caul' Bentham and Myron Bentham)

Spoilers:

1. Hollow City

2. The Library of Souls

Warning(s):

1. Slight Violence

2. A Major Character's Death

The polished wooden door creaked open, leading way to an office. A man in chains was dragged in, the door closing shut behind him. He was sat down and chained to a stiff, high-backed chair. His shirt was bloodied, his sleeves torn, and the exposed parts of his arm purpling with bruises and cuts.

There had clearly been a struggle.

The chained man's escorts left the room, holding the door open for someone else this time, before closing it.

A second man entered the room; an evident contrast to his captive. He was dressed in a neat suit, his hands resting on a cane.

'We need to talk.' He said seriously, his eyes on his captive.

'What is there to talk about?' The man in chains said, laughing bitterly.

'I believe you owe me an apology.' The well-dressed man prompted, waiting.

A flicker of irritation flashed across the other's unusually relaxed face.

'I owe you nothing, absolutely nothing.' He growled, struggling against his restraints for the first time.

There was a moment of silence, both men staring each other down, not quite trusting the other.

'Now, tell me, Jack.' The man said quietly, taking a seat across from the man in chains, resting his hands on the table separating them. 'What went wrong?'

'Everything.' The man in chains- Jack- whispered, his voice rising with every word. 'Every. Single. Thing. That's what went wrong.'

'We were friends, Jack, and even more than that, we were brothers.' The man continued, his voice lowered. 'What happened? Had your hidden agenda consumed you entirely, or was it me?'

Jack's eyes searched a blank wall. He was silent.

'All those times we spent looking over maps.' Myron said slowly, 'Our dream of reuniting Peculiardom... Did it all mean nothing to you?'

'Myron... Brother,' Jack whispered, wincing. 'You wouldn't understand.'

'You're right about that, Jack.' Myron muttered testily. 'I've given up on understanding you for a long, long time.'

'You did, didn't you?' Jack said, voice rising. 'Then why don't you get it over with? In fact, you've probably been wanting to slaughter me yourself for ages.'

'Is that why you think you're here?' Myron asked matter-of-factly. 'You know I'm not one to execute without a trial.'

There was a moment of silence, then, finally, Jack spoke.

'Oh, what might the trial be, then?' He asked, leaning back on his chair with an air of ease.

'That is for you to decide. The trials of elation are blind.' Myron replied. 'What do you deem right?'

'Well...' Jack trailed off, thinking out loud.

His brother leaned forward, waiting to hear his proposal.

In one swift motion, Jack leaped up, bringing the chair he was chained to up with him. With an air of practiced ease, he latched his hands to his brother's neck, tightly holding on.

'I see fit to bring upon your execution, brother.' He grinned, breaking into a fit of laughter, as if this situation was the funniest thing he'd ever laid his eyes upon.

His brother's eyes clouded over with fear, he was desperately trying to get Jack's hands off his throat, but his brother held on tight. Instead, he gave up, letting his hands hang limply at his sides. His own chair fell backward, bringing the two of them down with it. He knew he wouldn't make it through this.

'I forgive you, brother...' He rasped through his crushed windpipe.

Jack raised an eyebrow, but didn't let go.

Myron's eyes flickered closed, he was running out of air, blood rising to his face as his life was slowly leaked out of him.

As soon as he'd made sure that his brother was dead, Jack stood, wiping at the stubborn stains of blood on his shirt. He pulled at the chains that secured him to the chair until they came away. His brother hadn't tried very hard to keep him imprisoned.

He furtively glanced at Myron's corpse. He could've done so much more to keep Jack chained; he knew him well enough.

He wondered if the lack of restraint was intentional.

Jack clicked his tongue, his eyes on Myron's corpse once more. It was such a waste, a terrible waste. He would've liked to have some more information he might need, as well as dine on his brother's soul.

Jack laughed humorlessly. He was one to work alone; he didn't need a brother scurrying after him. He'd be able to take over the Ymbrynes with hardly a struggle, even all alone.

Wouldn't he?

He sighed. The 'trials of elation' were, indeed, blind.