Chapter 3

"This really is massive!" Minkyun nearly yelled when the Canyon was in view.

After taking their time showering and getting ready, they had a late breakfast somewhere close and bought snacks they stored in the backpack Minkyun had brought.

Following another short drive, they finally parked at the Grand Canyon.

"What did you expect?" Yuto chuckled at the amazement.

"I don't know. I just... I didn't think it was this big."

"Well, it's called the Grand Canyon after all."

"Yes, yes," Minkyun hummed.

They strolled over the sand paths, taking in the massive picture. There were little clouds above them and the blue sky prettily contrasted orange rocks once again.

While they had mostly gotten tired of the sandy views, there were the odd chances where it took their breath away, and this scene did just that. There was something eye-opening about seeing so far away, being threatened by how small you actually are. The earth bragging about its massive existence got the duo quiet while they set a soft pace.

With it being off season and the Canyon being huge, it wasn't too busy and the walk was relaxing. There was a 'main road' with small paths branching off every so often, signs sometimes told of hikers routes but Yuto and Minkyun chose to just walk along the cliffs, only protected by an ankle high fence.

After a while, there was a break in the fence and Minkyun hopped his way over to the edge. The taps made a bit of gravel fall over the edge and Minkyun followed the small stones with his eyes. It was terrifying to look that far down with no safety, there was no small protective barrier like at Hoover Dam, it was just a sheer drop down into a deep canyon.

While it felt scary, Minkyun didn't fear it and felt an excitement rush over him with the adrenaline in his body.

It quickly made Yuto nervous, he had shuffled over to the edge for a bit but backed up when he saw how deep it went.

"Minkyun... be careful," he mumbled.

"It's fine, many people stand here," Minkyun argued.

"That doesn't prove anything," the other answered but didn't push further. Instead, he got out his camera to freeze the other's stupidity through a photo.

When Minkyun noticed the spotlight, he dramatically spread his arms and beamed a contagious smile that made Yuto grin behind his device. With the picture shot, Minkyun waved for Yuto to come over but the other was hesitant.

"Come, it's fine," Minkyun tried to convince.

Yuto set a few steps onto the look-out but stopped halfway, Minkyun accepted the deal and walked over. He got out his phone and pulled Yuto next to him.

With an arm over Yuto's shoulder, he really noticed how small the other was. In reality, it wasn't that much of a difference but somehow Minkyun was very aware of everything about the other, the stable stance yet nervous attitude, the low height but sturdy built. He almost forgot why he had pulled Yuto close, what they were doing, only the phone in his view reminded him of the situation. With the front camera showing them together, something felt... right.

Showing a few different expressions, Minkyun took their photos and stepped back. Checking the images, Minkyun suddenly felt incredibly awkward and quickly went to the edge of the look-out again, letting his mind be cleared up by the wind blowing over the rocky sight, yet failing to ease his heart, realising there was no denying it.

After being called to walk further, he did notice Yuto sometimes sneaking a picture of him, but he didn't interact with it and only sometimes returned the favour, slowly filling his camera roll with freeze frames of the other.