chapter two ~ only one

~ Brinley

One Month Before

I'm sitting in this hospital bed, at 3 in the morning.

Im tired.

How does someone think I'm falling asleep?

I see both of my parents asleep on two chairs. I smile, happy to see them finally asleep, they have had bags under their eyes for about a week now.

"At least someone's sleeping" i mutter quietly under my breath.

I am really dehydrated, so I reached for my water bottle next to the cot, just to find it empty.

I groan, contemplating wether or not I want to get up.

I decide against it.

I still want to sit up, I'm not sleeping anyway so I might as well read some more Twilight. [for the hundredth time I might add].

I swing my leg over the bed, wanting to get the book that's a bit too far from my reach on the nightstand, but instead I'm stuck face-to-face with the fact that there's only one leg attached to my torso.

I start crying, thinking about the accident, or at least as much as I remember.

Then I think about the fact that I won't ever play volleyball again, I'm not able to go on morning jogs, or anything else that a normal 16-year-old girl should be able to do.

Nothing.

Anytime the doctors come in to talk about my options, I tune them out. I don't want to hear from them, they cut off my fucking leg.

My mom suddenly wakes up from hearing my crying.

She runs over to the bed, wiping tears off my face as she puts me back under the covers. I tell her I could do it myself but she doesn't listen.

I knew she wouldn't listen, and that's partly why I said it. I don't want to do it on my own.

I can, but I don't want to.

She sits on the side of the cot, asking me what's wrong. I say nothing, because we both know she already knows.

She rubs my back telling me it's going to be okay.

"I know it's hard now, baby, but trust me, it'll get better. You're the strongest person I know." My mom and I have always had the strongest bond, everyone that knows my mom tells me I am the exact same person as her, that I remind them of her.

I hear her talking to me, and it's really relaxing. I'm not really listening to what she's saying, but just the sound of her voice is so comforting.

I drift off to sleep, keeping her voice in my head the whole time, feeling her hand go up and down across my back, breathing in and out to the rhythm of her voice.