Scuffed Start (Part 1)

Calli's P.O.V.

"Hmm."

It's the break of dawn, when flower petals were beginning to fall from the trees. The weather must have been good today, since I felt this bright presence on my back. It was the sun, shining faithfully each and every morning, ignoring people's preference in their personal lives. It was the start of a new day, and I was still in bed, half asleep like a log. Am I forgetting something? Whatever. It probably is not important. Peeking from my place of rest, I saw bright skies with loose clouds marching on. This day was like any other. Nothing was special about it, I think.

We lived in a small community with my friends that are called mythical beings. They all grouped together in this town, living a slow life away from the hustle and bustle of a busy city. This community has less than a thousand people, and were all acquainted with each other. The convenience was a part of the plan. We are all retired from our previous jobs and such. This time we have left over makes us well rested from our previous lives. Being able to meet each other, to show support to one another, makes each, and every one of us happy.

In one household, lived two people. One of them was up, and started to yawn from a well rested sleep. That wasn't me, while the other was. Half asleep. I and Kusotori lived in this house and slept together in the same bed. Knowing me and my surroundings, I felt a shadow looming over me, telling me...

"Calli, are you seriously going to sleep through this day?"

Kusotori said.

"Calli, wake up!"

She shouted at me. She shook me and shook me to wake me up.

What's so important you need to rush me to walk up?

I thought. So, I decided to tease her a little.

"Hmm."

I said pretending-ly.

"Kiara Chicken legs"

I mumbled.

How do you like that?

Without a reaction to my teasing, she said these words.

"Calli, our wedding is today."

Say what now?!

I got out of bed in a hurry. That statement washed away my childish behaviour and now puts on a manly one. I said to Kusotori.

"What are you still doing in bed? We need to get ready."

"Calli, you're the one that almost overslept, why are you telling me this?"

"Chop, chop. Time waits for none."

"Moooh."

She said, pouting her cheeks, acting cute. This bird was going to marry Calliope Mori, me, a death god. She proposed to me sometime last year in front of the other girls. Gura wasn't surprised, Ame was nonchalant about it, And Ina, she was clapping for us with a smile on her face. I accepted it like a tsundere as they say, responded how a reaper would. It wasn't out of pity, or any belittling, it's because I genuinely loved this girl, not as a friend, but more than that. That's what you call a lover. This is the final event that is going to seal the deal for the two of us for eternities to come. A forever long relationship.

***

"Calli, what do you want for breakfast?"

Kusotori asked while preparing a meal on the stove. Mixing and flipping pancakes like it's a song remix. I was at the dining table still in my pajamas looking over to where she was cooking. She was wearing pajamas as well, along with an apron with a little chick on it.

"I'll have what you're having."

I answered her question with a slight unease. She said this, while bringing over the finished pancakes that were drizzled with honey, with an added, small butter on top.

"Calli, I want to make it special to you."

I wanted to believe her, but I couldn't. She was wearing, what I would like to believe was, a fake smile on her face.

"No need. You're already serving what I want."

I answered in a hesitant voice, with a conflicted smile on my face. She must have been still angry that I went out with one of my homies for a drink out.

"If you say so~."

Her bubbly answer was so artificial it might as well have popped like a real one. Something slipped my mind again. It happened when me and Kusotori were eating and flirting with each other over the dinner table.

***

"WHY ARE YOU STILL HERE?! THE PEOPLE ARE WAITING AT THE CHURCH FOR YOUR WEDDING?!"

Amelia Watson burst through the front door of our house. She saw us eating and marched over to us in a state of emergency.

"I expected Kiara to be a bird brain about this, but not you Calli."

She stopped in front of us. I thought I was in such a hurry this morning, but I forgot all about it. Huh... Too Shay. Not saying it is her fault, but I'm with a person that forgets their memory when they are killed. Maybe I have taken that part of her characteristics from her.

"Come. We have no time for this."

Ame dragged us both from our seats and out the front door, still in our pajamas. We didn't even lock it. Kusotori complained.

"I can't let the neighbours see like this!"

Ame said, not soothing the situation.

"Nobody cares. They already knew that you guys' wedding will be scuffed."

She said out loud. Continuing silently to herself, she said something while I was fighting the blinding rays from the morning sun.

"I didn't want to be right. It must have been the Mythical curse."

The Mythical Curse. Yes, this is a problem that probably haunts us between alternative universes. I wonder how the other universes are going.