Chapter 4 - Case One: Murder in Apartment 104

RUBY JANE

"I'm not staying here, Lisa!" I complained, tugging the seatbelt off. She wants me to stay inside the car, while they are out there risking their lives. I know they are Detectives, that it is part of their job, but you can't blame me. These people are not just co-workers for me. They are my family.

She look straight into my eyes, placing her hands on mine, stopping me from tugging the seatbelt off. "I'm serious, Ruby Jane. Stay right here."

"But-"

She placed her hand on the top of my head, soothing me. "Trust us on this, okay? We will do this fast, so I can come back here... to you. What do you think about that?"

There was a silence inside the car, neither was speaking. Maybe, she's waiting for me to say yes, which I know will take time because I'm still thinking for my answer.

"Everyone get ready, we're moving in. Officer Wright's already here. He got the warrant."

Captain's voice came through after the static on the radio, that was on Lisa's side. "On it, Cap." She answered, pulling her gun out of the holster, fixing it, before averting her eyes on me.

"Please, Ninibear?"

"....."

"I will buy that bear necklace you want if you stay here, until I come back." She bargained.

"Fine." I surrendered, pouting as I sulk, arms crossed on my chest. She gave me a beaming smile, pinching my right cheek gently, before stepping outside the car.

"Lock the car." She instructed, which I followed. I badly want to follow them, but I promised. God, I promised. This is so frustrating in every way. I know they are all great Detectives, but I can't help myself.

It was only 2 minutes and I'm already fidgeting on my seat, bouncing my legs up and down, trying to remove the uneasiness I'm feeling. It's always like this... every damn case!

[Somsom Calling]

"Hey, Som?"

"Jennie! I don't know how we missed it, but I saw a strand of hair inside Sandra Mun's mouth! Gosh, I feel so stupid knowing that you gave that work to me."

"Relax now, Som. Now, tell me. What kind of hair?"

"I already ran a test. The hair doesn't belong to the victim. Thank God for the new technology, I identified the owner of the hair. It belonged to Melannie Moore! I also asked Hyun to check the information about her, she's Richard Han's wife and she's also an AB+, have a pending flight at 1:30 am tonight straight to Santorini. She was last seen at the convenience store near Sandra Mun's apartment at around 11:15 pm, the same day we received the report."

I lift my hand, checking my wristwatch. 11:30 pm? We still got time to catch her. "I'll get back to you later, Som. I need to go! Thank you for the update!" I immediately went out of the car, running to where they are. I'm sorry for breaking my promise, Lisa but I had to do it before the team can catch the wrong perpetrator and let the real perp escape.

Gosh, I feel so stupid missing that one basic thing! That wasn't Somi's fault. It was mine. I am the head of the forensic lab for goodness sake!