Forest Talk

"Tell me you meant it when you said there was no one else you were thinking about back then"

You looked at them, a frown forming onto your wind-beaten face. Where on earth did that question come from?

"What do you mean?" You asked, your hands still shoved into your hoodie pockets. The winter wind was harsh.

"You know, when you came to visit last time, I could tell someone was on your mind, someone that wasn't me, I asked about it but you just said it was nothing, but it was something, right?" They rambled, the worry in their eyes grew more vibrant as you both walked forward.

Your eyes filled with soft comfort and you turned to them, reaching out to take their hands into your own, cold, loving ones. "I promise you" You paused to brush the hair out of their face. "That you are always going to be the only one for me".

Their eyes softened, the worry faded away and you smiled a bit more now.

"Okay, I just wanted to know" they said, feeling the need to justify their questioning.

"I know" You smiled, nearing the place of farewell.

"Please come back soon" They whispered, brushing their hand on your cheek affectionately.

The dull aching in your chest arose again, it felt hard to swallow and your following words felt forced and painful. "Goodbye, I will come back as soon as I can".

"I know... I will miss you" The longing in their eyes matched yours.

"You too, until next time?" You smiled weakly, fighting the tears back so that they wouldn't be as sad as you were. They hated it when you cried.

"Until next time my love"

Then your hands slipped from theirs, and your eyes opened, and you looked at the time.

Until next time.