Chapter 4

Soon, Caspian and I saw a bright light waving around.

"A flashlight," Caspian muttered.

"I thought I heard something over here," said a male voice, in an undertone.

Finally, I understood what was happening here. "The police," I murmured, shock taking over my face. "Caspian, that's a police officer."

"Shoot, you're right," Caspian said, suddenly standing up and entering determination mode. "We have to get out of here. You go right, I'll go left," he said, sprinting out to the left, whilst trying to be quiet. Immediately, I got to the ground. I had to crawl my way out, to be sure the officer wouldn't see me.

I hid behind a bush. The consequences of what would happen if I got caught came rushing to mind like a stampede. What would happen if I had to go to jail? What would my family think? Would they find Caspian? What about The Elements club? What would people at school say? What about Agni? What about Blaze?

The light of the flashlight was getting closer. I looked over my shoulder to see that Caspian was long gone. I should get going too. I stood up, quickly. Tiptoeing my way over to the bench, I heard the same voice from earlier say, "Stop, put your hands up and turn around.

Oh, no. This is it. This is where I get caught. I complied with the officer's commands, not wanting to also be filed for resistance of arrest. When I turned around, I was shocked to see Officer Alev, one of my father's friends.

"Ash? What are you doing out here?" Officer Alev asks. Relief finds and I let out a sigh.

"Oh, Officer Alev, I was just going to meet a friend here but she called me and canceled at the last minute. I was so scared that some officer would tell me that I couldn't be here that I was going to run away," I lied.

"Well, I thought I heard some voices and thought I should check the area out. Are you the only one here, Ash?"

I scanned the area to check if Caspian was still around. Sure enough, I saw him sitting under a part of the playground from the corner of my eye. I couldn't believe he was still there.

"Yes, Alev. I'm the only one here," I lied, again.

"Well, alright. Maybe you should go to the public park next time. If you keep coming here, someone will think you're up to something," Alev dismissed.

"Thank you, Alev," I say, gathering my things slowly, purposefully. Caspian must have been listening in because he took off running, as quietly as he could. I walked with Officer Alev all the way back to my house.

By the time we got there, it was dinner time. Alev knocked on the front door. My dad was the one to open the door.

"Alev! So good to see you again! What brings you back?" My dad asked, fervently.

"Good to see you, too, Ignatius. I just found your daughter in the abandoned playground behind the school. She said was meeting a friend. Thought I heard some voices; I can never be too safe, you know?" Alev stated.

"Oh, yes, Ash told me about that. Ash, sweetie, how did it go?"

"She had to cancel, last minute. Hopefully, we'll be able to meet in a few days," I responded.

"Good. Now, Alev, why don't you join us for dinner?"

"I thought you'd never ask, Ignatius. I'd be glad to join you."

"Let's see what Adara is cooking this time," my dad said.

I journeyed into my room. Let's meet at the playground tomorrow, same time. I can't bring you there this time, I texted Caspian. Not two minutes later, he replied Ok, see you then.