Chapter 2

The next morning, I had awakened to Blaze, my little 8-year-old brother, staring at me. I jumped.

"Jeez, Blaze. Were you there all night?" I asked.
"No," said Blaze, moving around, in his own little world. "I just came a few minutes ago. Mom wanted me to tell you to wake up and that breakfast is ready."
"Ok, tell her that I'm coming."
"OK!" Blaze screamed and went off to annoy my mom.

I looked at my alarm clock. 7:00 AM. I had an hour to eat and get dressed. What day is it today? Wednesday? So I have Physics first, I thought to myself.

When I came to the table, Mom and Blaze were already seated and waiting for me. I plopped down into a seat.

"I'm not very fast at getting ready and waking up. Sorry for making you guys wait to eat," I said.

Blaze ignored what I had just said and started digging into his food. "FINALLY! FOOD!" He screamed.

"Blaze, chew with your mouth closed and don't scream," Mom advised. With a sigh, Blaze decided to eat normally.

A few minutes later, I had finished my breakfast. I was in my room putting my books in my bookbag. Then Mom came into the room. I looked up.

"Hey," I greeted her, looking for my Physics book.
"Hey," Mom said. "Have fun at school today."
"Thanks. Have fun at work."
Mom laughed.
"Oh, hey, is Dad working right now?"
"Yeah. He got up a few hours earlier."
"Oh ok." I found my book, hugged my mom goodbye, and was off to school.

It was 7:45 when I entered the Physics classroom. I had no friends in my category at this school, so I headed straight for my classroom. Five minutes passed and soon the classroom was filling up with students who didn't want to be late. Mentally, I named everyone who sat down. Then I came across a guy I'd never seen before.

He's cute, I thought. I knew who everyone was and didn't know this guy. He must be new, I thought. Too bad he's a Water. Then I had an idea. I would ask Aqua who this new guy was.

Surely Aqua would know this guy. She knows everything about every Water. Suddenly, I became aware of the fact that I was staring at the guy. He seemed to notice. He looked at me and smirked. Then he laughed to himself.

I then noticed something else. The new guy was sitting in Caspian's seat. Interesting, I thought. Perhaps, they were out of seats and he had nowhere else to sit. Or maybe, this was Caspian's rival and knew he was sick, so he took his seat. Whatever the reason, this new guy was pretty cute.

"Ashley?" Mr. Hale asked, holding his attendance list. I winced. Mr. Hale was still the only person to call me by my full name. I made eye contact with him. He nodded and checked off my name.

I didn't pay attention to the rest of the attendance. I was too busy trying to find out who New Guy was. I soon gave up, with the hope that Aqua would know. For the rest of the class, I paid attention to Mr. Hale and his physics lesson. Sometimes, I would look over at New Guy, and he'd smirk, then bite his lip and laugh.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Hey, Aqua," I asked, at The Elements club, when lunch rolled around. "I have a question to ask you."

"Well, go ahead. What's up?" Aqua asked, in her small voice.

"So there was this new guy in my Physics class. He was a Water and sat in your brother's seat. Do you have any idea who he could be?"

Aqua's lips curved into a smile, like there was a joke only she could hear. She closed her eyes and laughed. She shook her head and smirked. She bit her lip to keep from laughing again. It seemed suspicious to me.