Chapter 1: The Mission

⠀⠀February 14;

⠀⠀What was once known as a celebration of love has spiraled into just another ordinary despair inducing day. The once bustling streets of Towacity were ghostly, sighting no signs of cheer. Instead of the sweet aroma of chocolates and flowers, the air reeked with a smell of fresh bloodshed and a sickly feel. Valentine's Day is what people use to call it. The staff at the Future Foundation just call it another work day.

⠀⠀"Kirigiri Kyoko and Naegi Makoto. There seems to be some commotion regarding a suspicious species of monokumas gathered at the station." An unfamiliar voice stated. "We've never encountered this type before so we are sending two of our best agents to examine it. The Future Foundation is relying on you both to make sure this incident does not become a issue later to come. Understood?"

⠀⠀With a respected bow and a slight nod of the head, the duo accepted their mission.

⠀⠀"Hehe, looks like we're paired up again huh?" Naegi chuckled lightly. "Let's try to do our best out there Kirigiri-san! I know you don't exactly like it out there." He put his hand on the purple-haired girl's shoulder. "Don't worry. I know I might not be much but I'll do everything I can to p-protect you!" The luckster bashfully spoke. "I promise you that you'll be safe. I know this gets a little repetitive but, have a little hope!" Kirigiri glanced at him with gentle eyes and a small smile skirted across her face. "Y-yeah.."

⠀⠀"Oy! Stop flirting with each other. It leaves a disgusting taste in my mouth." The glasses on the blonde boy gleamed as he continued to speak. "You think just because it's Valentine's Day means you can exchange love vows all day meanwhile a crisis is happening right outside your window?" Makoto's eyebrows perked up in surprise and a blushing detective stayed silent. "If you understand me, hurry up and get out of my sight before I..." Togami was cut off by a love sick girl rushing to his side. "B-Byakuya-sama! Th-There you are! I've been s-searching for you everywhere!" The girl held a boxes of chocolates and a card behind her back. She was the only one out of all four of them that did not have a Future Foundation uniform on. "Feh, what a coincidence. I've been avoiding you everywhere. What do you want?" Fukawa presented her gifts and proclaimed her love for her prince once more, as if she hadn't said it enough. Kyoko quickly grabbed Naegi's hand and quietly walked away. "We should get going now." She said calmly, leaving Togami and Touko to have one of their usual squabbles.
"After all we have a job to do." Makoto was a pleasently surprised by this comment. "You're not afraid anymore?" He asked. There was a silence before the long awaited answer. ".... No." The brunette's face lit up. "Eh? Really?! Oh! I'm so glad!" Kirigiri continued. "Why should I be anyways?" She looked at the boy intently. "Y-You promised you would protect me before, right?" Naegi smiled. "Right!"

⠀⠀Red faces walked side by side, still holding hands, out of the door. Equip with suitable weapons, motivation, and each other, they were ready to take on whatever challenges that faced them.