Chapter 4: Grief

Dead?

Was he dead?

No. It couldn't be. It's not possible. No. Never. Not now. Not this way.

The lilac-haired detective stared blankly, shaking like a leaf on a windy day.  Her hands clutched to his clothes as she felt his warmth slowly escape from his body. The boy's temperature dropped with every passing second and there was nothing she could do.

Tears.

So many tears.

The girl's eyes were blinded by them yet there was no sound. She coated her cheeks with salty tears as she wept silently. She couldn't even process what had happened just moments before. No, she didn't want to process what happened moments before.

Why?

Because it was too sad to be true?
Yes.

Because she had lost a precious friend once again to that strawberry blonde fiend?
Yes.

Because it was her fault?
Yes.

"If only I was strong enough to protect myself... Maybe then he wouldn't be..." The detective spoke weakly.
"... dead." Kirigiri couldn't begin to comprehend even the thought of Naegi Makoto demoted down to the title of just another corpse. After all the trials they faced together, after all they've been through, after all they've felt for each other, for it to end like this is just too pitiful. He was her best friend or perhaps something more.

The girl pounded the coal black street with two tightly held fists as memories of their last battle together flooded her mind. Her usual cool composure broke ever so slightly as she blamed herself for the death of the shsl hope. "If only I didn't shoot that monokuma... If only I had better instincts as a detective... I should have listened to him when he said to investigate that bear...! I knew something was strange but why didn't I do it!" Her voice was hoarse and tired. Her shoulders shook with every word she spoke.

"It's my fault.... It's all my fault!" Her tears wet her entire cheek and dripped off her chin at a steady quick pace. "I made a mistake and it cost him his own life! I... I'm so sorry!" Kirigiri shouted. "I'm sorry..." She clutched her hands close to her and curled up towards herself. It seems her crying would never end.

"I'm so sorry I did this to you." She spoke with her head buried into her  knees. The purple haired girl sat alone on the cold bloodstained road knowing she'll never hear his comforting words again. With a sniffle and a deep breath she found the courage to say a few more words using the little energy she had left. She let out a faint whisper.

"Naegi Makoto I-

Kirigiri still sat next to his corpse with her head hung low.

....I love you too."