Act Three

"You mentioned talent, to whom do you prefer to?"

"Excuse me?"

"The talent, you said. I want to know whom you figured was talented out of that performance we just saw?" Mr. Hasegawa asks. Perhaps it's his placid expression that shows seems almost confrontation, if not bordering on condescension. Perhaps it is simply height that leaves Reki looking up to him.

"When you spoke of the 'talent', surely who came to mind?"

Looking for an excuse to escape the trap of conversation, Reki feigns innocence.

"I suppose everyone. They worked very hard given the circumstances."

"But even you had moments where you paid more attention to the stage. Surely, who captivated you so?" Mr. Hasegawa persists. His hands gesture towards the general direction of the stage while his coat (draped casually over his left arm sways with sudden movement). "I assure you would not give the heir such implicit directions, now, would you?"

"No, sir, I wouldn't."

The obtuseness of Reki's answer seems to leave him unsatisfied as he continues to make conversation.

"Then," Mr. Hasegawa insists, "to whom do you refer to as talent?"

Reki answers clearly: "Whoever Saki feels as though deserves their due respect."

"Whom," he corrects, "Whomever."

"Yes, whomever." Reki acknowledges. After that, they fall into some sort of affinity. Hasegawa has a just understanding of the theatre's current actors, and in response to Reki's own knowledge, listens intently to what the other man has to say- Reki educates him on certain techniques used on tonight's show. Without speculation, Reki begins describing the faults of character rather than technique, finding issues with casting. Most of his thoughts are shared amongst the actors and stagehands. Much of what Hasegawa comments is flirted with brazenness causing Reki to laugh when that flirtation borders too far into rudeness.

Latterly, Reki realizes their conversations have delayed his requests to summon Saki according to the heir's request. He excuses himself profusely in an attempt to go his separate ways. It seems Mr. Hasegawa isn't as dense as he comes off and before long, he is tailing along. As Reki makes his rounds, checking on the stage crew or running a few errands for singers, the process goes by faster under Hasegawa's watchful eye. Their only delay is when they run into Miya.

"Langa!" He smirks, a complacent exclamation.

"Ah, Miya!" Mr. Hasegawa grins. The pair lock hands instantly in an energetic display of pleasantries (in the form of a very eager handshake). He bends down and pats the top of his head while Miya puts on an innocent act. "It's been too long." He tells him.

Miya laughs, covering his mouth, absolutely adoring the attention. Reki shakes his head amused.

"It's always a pleasure to see a familiar face now and then." Miya says, raising a low laugh out of Mr. Hasegawa. Miya glances over, belatedly noticing Reki standing behind them and looks between the two with obvious confusion.

"Shindo sent Reki to find Mr. Furo," Mr. Hasegawa informs, "So, I followed along to look around."

"Saki should be in his office by now," Miya shrugs, "At least, I think so."

"Wonderful," Mr. Hasegawa looks over his shoulder at Reki, "Looks like you're relieved of duty Carpenter."

"From that duty, yes sir," Reki nods in agreement, "I appreciated the company."

"Anytime." He says coolly. Mr. Hasegawa holds out his hand resembling their first disastrous meeting. This time, Reki accepts it seeing the warmth from the grip travel to the man's eyes before they part ways.