𝟬𝟬𝟮. aftermath

two,࿐ aftermath

two,
aftermath

MOST DAYS, STEVIE woke up alone. She had her morning routine down. Quick shower, coffee and breakfast, change into her work robes, and off to the ministry by half past eight. Waking up to the sun high in the sky, with a naked blonde in an apartment that didn't belong to her was not a part of Stevie's morning.

Marlene had her arm tossed around Stevie's waist, blonde curls wild in the cotton sheets. Stevie blushed bright pink when she remembered what had occurred mere hours ago.

Bright sunlight streamed through the curtains, which they had forgotten to draw. A noise sounded from the kitchen, causing Stevie to jump. Marlene stirred, opening her eyes. "That's my flatmate Mary," she mumbled, voice soft, and raspy. "Shit," she added, bolting up with her eyes wide.

"Yeah," Stevie replied, watching as the gears seemed to turn in Marlene's head, putting together what had happened the night before. "We weren't too loud, were we?"

"Door has a permanent silencing charm," Marlene shrugged. "Mary and I both agreed to put them on each other's doors after I heard her moaning while trying to fix myself some tea. She and her boyfriend at the time went at it like rabbits."

"Oh," Stevie managed. "She sounds chipper."

Marlene giggled. "She's lovely, really. Her boyfriend at the time, some chap named Colin, was a bit obsessed, if you know what I mean."

"Do you talk about your flatmate's sex life with every girl you bring home"? Stevie laughed, running her fingers through her own mussed up hair, only to receive a pillow to the face.

"You're the one who brought it up!" Marlene protested, stumbling out of bed with a sheet clutched around her like a dress. She tossed a jumper and some jeans at Stevie. "Haven't been to the store in a while, otherwise I would make you breakfast. There's a cafe down the street, we can head there."

"Not tired of me yet?" Stevie sassed, tugging the black jumper over her slender arms. It smelled like lavender shampoo, which was what she thought of now as a Marlene signature.

"On the contrary, I would spend the whole day with you, but I'm sure you're busy," Marlene replied.

Stevie froze for a second as she buttoned the bell-bottom jeans Marlene had handed her, which hung a bit loose on her waist.  She relaxed, smiling wide. "I'm actually free."

Marlene looked surprised as she tugged a leather jacket over a pink silk bustier that clung to her slim figure. "Well then, ever explored London with someone who's best mate is born and bred?" she joked, her faint Scouse accent especially strong this morning. There was a smattering of freckles sprinkled across her nose like tiny little stars, and in this moment, the pale morning sun washed over her skin, last night's gunmetal liner smudged around her eyes, Marlene looked beautiful.