Chapter 5

It was half a year before Brynja made her way back down to Loki's cell, though she did make an attempt to write regularly, sending him little stories, retellings of Midgardian fairy tales and folklore. She had been carrying on extensive conversations with her parents to try to find out just what Loki's fate would be, or at least if she could visit him face-to-face at some point. Her discussions almost always ended in someone yelling at someone else and the expectation that she would return, silently, to the walls from which she had come and the topic would not be brought up again. Thanks to Frigga, however, it nearly always was. The queen had managed to visit Loki a few times in the half-year, hoping that he would at least be happy to see her. Brynja had been forbidden to visit, so she sent her letters with her mother when she could.

Brynja did not like being told who she could or could not visit, though, and the tensions between her and Odin were getting worse. Her last conversation with her parents had been particularly explosive, with her father threatening to banish her from the realm if she asked about Loki's freedom again. Her mother had been visibly pained by this prospect and begged her to leave the room, retreat to the walls, and to let the subject rest. Brynja had retreated under duress and, once she reached her room, dressed in Midgardian clothes and begun to pack. Midgard would be more friendly than Asgard and, once again, she was ready to flee, but not before one more visit to the only companion she had in the realm. Late that night, she looked over her books and pulled a few from the shelf before she tossed on her long black coat, heaved her duffel bag over her shoulder, and headed for his confinement.

When she arrived, the cell was dark, so she tapped on the outside, hoping to wake Loki without drawing the attention of the guards. She began to panic, wondering how else to pass along his books. She tapped again and waited. No answer. She wedged the books between her knees, placed both hands against the barrier, it solidifying as she touched it, and concentrated as she whispered his name. He stirred in bed. She tried again and he turned over. Once more, she whispered and this time, he awoke and looked her direction, confused by the haze of sleep. When he saw her, he stumbled from the bed and stood close to the barrier.

"Brynja. What's wrong?"

"What gave it away that something's wrong?"

Loki shrugged, exaggeratedly, "Oh, the whole middle of the night bit gave me just a touch of a hint." He touched the barrier where one of her hands was still resting, "Tell me what's going on."

Brynja's heart was heavy as she held up the books, "I came to make sure you got these. There's a note with them. When the guards come with breakfast, they'll see the instructions. Mother will check to be sure you get them."

Loki still did not quite understand what was happening, "Brynja, please, explain things a little more clearly. I'm not quite so nimble-minded at this hour."

"I've got to get out of here. Father's told me I can't visit you anymore because I ask too many questions. He's threatened to banish me from the realm if I keep asking about you. It's better than the threat of marrying me off, but I'm leaving for Midgard tonight. I don't know when I'll see you again."

Loki's face fell, "Please don't leave; Thor has stopped visiting. Mother barely comes here and when she does, all she does is cry. You've been quite a breath of fresh air for someone who no longer gets to feel the sunlight."

She nodded, "I know, and I hate to do this, but I know what happens next. Things have gone to shit between Father and I and it only gets worse from here. I've done this a lot. I'll be back. Maybe when I come back, Mother will have convinced Father that you're not a danger to me and I can come in to visit you there in the cell."

Loki scoffed, "Unlikely. Odin would like to see me rot alone."

"I get that, but Mother's the one who told him tonight that the conversation about you was far from over and she would be bringing the subject up again, whether I was there to hear it or not. Mother's in your corner. Trust her."

"Oh, I do, Brynja. I do." Loki sighed, "Please come back before too long?"

Brynja set the books down in front of his cell, "I'll do my best. Hang in there, Loki. I'm not giving up on you yet." She kissed her fingertips and pressed them against the barrier where his hand still rested before heading off to leave Asgard. Loki watched her go and wondered just why he dreaded not having her in Asgard, even though he never knew when she was going to visit. He went back to bed with no answers to his question and a definite feeling that were he ever to try to decieve her, he would probably feel badly for having done it. It was the same way he felt when he thought about lying to Frigga, though he also supposed that with Brynja being the legendary Witch, she would quite possibly flay him alive if he ever did deceive her. He wasn't entirely convinced, though, that his aversion to lying to Brynja was based entirely on fear. There was something about this friendship that he was starting to value.

The next morning, Loki saw four books sitting next to his breakfast, A Study in Scarlet, Songs of Innocence and Experience, The Phantom of the Opera, and The Complete Poetry of Robert Burns. He opened a book before he touched his breakfast.