Chapter 26

The next day after breakfast, Loki sent for Brynja and her daughters and they met in the corner of windows that once was a part of his bedroom. He took them exploring through the temple, showing the girls nooks and crannies they could safely play in, places he had tucked little trinkets or treasures early that morning. Coins, ice sculptures, or sparkling rocks met them tucked in places they discovered. When they took a break for lunch, Loki happily cast illusions over the dining hall to thrill the children and bring a smile to Brynja's face. He began to feel the same contentment that he had felt after she awoke from the deep and healing sleep that followed her Witchery years ago. Once again, though, it was clouded by an impending change, one that would quite possibly lead to the end of their time together permanently.

After lunch, he found a large empty room and cast a glamour over it, one that turned it into a grand ballroom filled with music, and they danced, the four of them, for hours. The children's laughter echoed off the ceiling and walls. Loki believed that he had possibly found one of the best uses of his magic and, for once, it had nothing to do with him. The game ended only when they were too tired to continue dancing, Brynja collapsing against him, laughing, as she stumbled through the steps. They retreated to Brynja's room for stories before supper and ate together once again in the dining hall. As they were leaving, Loki was pulled aside by one of his guards and gestured for the others not to wait for him. Brynja brought her daughters back to their room.

Katja twirled in front of the fireplace, giggling, "Oh, Mother, I've had so much fun today! Can we stay here forever? I like playing with Loki."

Sunny flopped back on the bed, "I'm not sure I could do this every day- I'm so tired! But you're right, Kat, it was fun!"

Brynja readied nightclothes and began to dim the lamps for the night, "We will stay here as long as we are welcome, loves. I've missed this, too."

Sunny turned over on the bed, "You mean you got to play like this when it was just you, too?"

Katja piped up, "He doesn't just do this for kids?"

Brynja nudged Katja toward her pajamas, "I don't think he's done this for anyone else but me and you girls- we told stories when we were together here a decade ago. He hasn't really had much of a chance to play in such a long time. Before we came to Jotunheim, he was imprisoned for fifteen years and before that, he was trying to take over different realms and failing each time. Years ago, he would spar with Thor or try to impress Sif, Volstagg, Hogan, and Fandral with his magic, using it to create beasts for them to battle or fields of enemies for them to practice their attacks with, but it has been a long time since he made anything pretty or did anything fanciful with his sorcery. It must have been Mother who was his first audience for that."

Sunny sighed, "I suddenly feel really special knowing that he did this for us."

Katja tugged on her nightclothes, "Yeah, it's pretty awesome that he's not all kingy around us, too. I mean, yeah, the blue is a little different, but other than that, he seems pretty normal. Not the crazy man Father always made him out to be."

Brynja responded, "Don't think that Loki can't be dangerous if he decides to be. He can be very very wicked if he wants...but he has been very careful not to hurt me and he has changed over the years. I do not think you children have anything to fear from him."

As she tucked her daughters in bed, Sunny asked, "Do you think we'll ever see him being wicked? I mean, Uncle Thor talks about him as though there were nothing good left in Loki's heart. He talks about a seige on New York that got out of hand and a truly horrible time when Loki stole Grandfather's throne."

"Loki has done those things, yes. When he learned he was born of Jotun parents, he felt as though everything your Grandfather had ever told him had been a lie. His hatred of him grew very deep and he decided that he would have to prove your Grandfather's words about him never being a king wrong. Loki was a hurt child at that point- yes, he was grown, but in his heart he felt very much like you would if you were told I was not your mother and your entire growing up you had been told you could be a great warrior and suddenly you were told it would never happen. You would be hurt, too. You might throw a fit, you might try to take something that wasn't yours to prove you were worthy. And that is what he did. He tried many times and failed each time."