17

Jace is studying old books to find the demon. Cats surround him and beg for attention as Davina walks in, ready for the party.

"Magnus!"

Magnus comes into the outdoor room.

"Aw! Salut, mon petits chats. You're new, aren't you? I spoil them. I can't help it. It's the only way to win them over"

"Well, I guess when you put your mind to it, you can win over just about anyone, huh?" Jace asks.

"You're talking about Alec," Magnus says.

Magnus sits down across from Jace and Davina sits down.

"Look, I've been there. I know it's a whirlwind fling that burns so hot all it can do is the flame out" Jace says. "Before I met 'Vina"

"Is this what you think it is? A fling?"

"I don't know what it is, but I know my brother. He's sensitive. And now that you guys have taken things to the next level-"

"He told you"

"That's great Magnus!" Davina says, stroking the red cat.

"No, he didn't have to. We're parabatai. No. No, no, no. No, it's not like that. It's- I can, uh- I can just, I can sense that he's happier. Look, I'll make this simple, okay? I'm never gonna let anyone hurt him"

"Then we have that in common. Do you think I'd invite Maryse Lightwood to my home for just anyone?" Magnus asks.

They all smile.

"I hope this party has an open bar"

There is Spanish music playing and there are tons of people. Servers are walking by with drinks. There is an ice sculpture of the angelic rune on display. Jace is standing at the bar watching as Davina mills among people.

"Can I get a beer?"

"I thought I smelled cocky"

"Magnus must be really scraping the bottom of the bartender's barrel"

"Aw, you still bitter about getting your ass kicked by a werewolf?"

"In case you forgot, that was a three-against-one fight"

"Well, I'm actually happy I didn't maul you to death"

"Why? So you can slowly annoy me to death instead?"

"No. Because now I know you didn't kill Gretel"

Maia puts a glass of sangria on the bar. They are both silent for a moment.

"I asked for a beer"

"Beer's boring. Have some sangria. Apparently, Magnus has a thing for Spain"

Jace smells the sangria. Then he looks over at Simon and Clary.

"Didn't think he had it in him"

"Guess your date didn't go so well," Jace says.

"No, it went great. I, uh, told him to make a move, and that's exactly what he did. What about your girlfriend?"

"What about her?" Jace asks, glancing at Davina who was talking to a random Shadowhunter.

"She put her life at risk against us to save you," Maia says. "She loves you and deserves better"

"I know," Jace sighs. "But for some reason she wants me"

Jace and Davina walk out onto the balcony.

"How much of you is a demon?" Max asks Magnus as they step into earshot.

"Max, enough. That's not how we treat our friends. Apologize to Magnus"

"You can't tell me what to do," Max says.

"Hey, just because you're getting your first rune doesn't mean you can talk to your brother like that" Alec says.

"Jace isn't my brother!" Max says.

Everyone looks at each other, shocked at what Max just said and Davina rubs Jace's arm.

"Max!" Alec snaps.

"Mom says you're not even part of our family"

"Jace, I-"

"Message received," Jace says, pulling Davina away.

Jace walks away and Davina walks over to the bar.

"Non-vampiric bloody Mary please," Davina says.

"Coming right up," Maia says and after two minutes Davina has a glass in her hand and she takes a long sip.

Alec rushes past Davina and she places her glass down and follows him.

"Alec?"

Davina receives no response as Alec opens the doors to the roof. She follows him in curiosity and her eyes widen when Alec climbs on the roof.

"Alec. Alec, no!" Davina shouts.

"I have to!"

"Alec- what are you doing? Please get down" Davina begs.

Alec is standing on the edge of the balcony, about to jump as Davina begs for him to step down.

"Alec, please, come down from there"

"I know, I know you wish I was dead instead of Jocelyn"

"I don't wish you were dead. I would never wish that. Please- Okay? Don't worry. Take my hand. Take my hand. Alec please"

Alec lets himself fall and Davina screams in shock.

"Alec!"

Magnus is just there in time and sees Alec fall as Davina reaches for him.

"Alec!"

Magnus uses his magic to keep Alec floating in the air. He pulls Alec back up.

"Oh, my God" Davina says.

Magnus sits Alec down against the wall. Isabelle, Clary, Thomas, and Jace walk onto the roof now as well.

"What happened?"

"All of a sudden, he started talking about how I hated him for killing Jocelyn," Davina says. "Then he got on the roof and-"

Everyone kneels by Alec. Maryse runs up to him.

"Alec?"

"It's okay. I sedated him when I pulled him off the ledge"

"You know what, you stay away from him. You can't be trusted" Jace says to Maryse.

"I can't be trusted? Now you see why I was wary of having a party at a warlock's house"

Simon walks out onto the roof, too.

"Wow. What's going on here?"

"Oh, what do you care? Maia is at the bar" Clary says.

"Yes, and Alec's on the ground. Is he gonna be okay?"

"You're all gonna be okay. Everyone just stays here. I'll be right back"

 I'll be right back"