Chapter one - Beginnings are subjective

The sound of raindrops rapidly hit the window of the taxi as the lights from outside danced behind her eyelids. The old worn leather clung to her sweaty palms splayed upon the seat.

Who am I...Where am I...

These thoughts ricocheted off the walls of her head as she tried to place her surroundings. Last thing she could remember, she woke up slouched in a subway station against filthy green and white tiles. She didn't know where she was or who she was, and the only clues as to her identity was a small plastic bag that was serving as a purse. She didn't know where it came from, but she didn't know that about herself either so she decided it wasn't important. It contained a phone that she couldn't unlock, a few coins of foreign currency, and a polaroid picture of a woman she couldn't quite place.

The taxi started to slow. Without thinking, she jumped out of the car and ran before the driver could ask for payment.

"HEY!! GET BACK HERE!!"

The driver yelled frantically. She ignored him and continued sprinting through the soaking streets. The lights of the skyscraper glistened and shined in the puddles, distracting her and causing her to trip over her untied shoelaces. She jumped back up and began running harder than ever making up for lost time while holding onto the plastic bag for dear life, her feet hitting the street made a loud slapping noise as the rain drenched her afo. Once she was sure she had lost the driver they stopped and turned to a woman wearing a hijab.

"Ma'am!"

She appeared startled, but answered reluctantly.

"Y-yes?"

"Where am I??"

"New York..Do you need me to take you to a hospital? You don't look too well.."

Without answering she turned back around and ran into an alleyway. She didnt know who she was, but she knew she couldnt go anywhere without figuring that out. Sitting down while planting, she leaned against a trash can. She tried unlocking the phone without success.

Throwing the phone on the ground in anguish she gave up, and as her hand rested on the ground to support her body weight it touched something sticky. Her hand instantly lifted up, as she glared at it in disgust. She wiped it on the brick beside her and her eyes darted to the fence closing off the ally on one end as she heard a scampering noise.

She crept towards the noise. ready to defend herself. But when she found the source of the noise it was only... a small mouse. She contemplated only for a second what to do. She sat back down and let it crawl on her hand as she looked down lovingly.

"Ill call you...Oru. My names Nijori. I think we'll be great friends."

That wasn't her real name of course. She couldn't remember that.

She pet the mouse while softly smiling as it crawled in her yellow windbreaker's pocket to protect itself from the rain. Nijori fished a small piece of tuna from the trash can and placed it next to her new friend while snarling at the foul smell. As Osu ate, She drifted off exhausted from the small amount of time she could remember.