Chapter two - Introductions

Slowly opening her eyes, Nijori tried to place her surroundings. A dirty alleyway.. suddenly everything came rushing back to her foggy head. The events of last night were clear in her mind. Now, she saw the sun barley over the horizon. Dawn grazed her cheeks as she knew she needed to get going as soon as possible. As she stood up her head started to spin, but she ignored it. She scooped up Oru and slipped out of the alleyway without so much as a word.

He rolled over to his side as his sheets clung to the side of his face with sweat; the AC broke. Again.

Grey wasn't an exceptional person. He did was absolutely needed to be done, and nothing more. So when he got an offer in telemarketing he felt inclined to take it; he felt a low effort job was perfect for him.

As he walked to his office job just at the crack of dawn, he bit on his lip until he tasted blood. Then, out of the corner of his eye he saw a woman walking out of an alleyway. He was going to walk past her but...a feeling drew him towards her like a gravitational pull, so he approached her slowly. Little did he know his unexceptional life was about to get a lot more interesting.

As he walked towards her, she backed into the alleyway. She grabbed a pointed piece of unidentified metal.

"No no, i'm not going to hurt you. I promise."

"What do you want then?" she asked cautiously.

"I...i just want to help you. What's your name?"

"Nijori." She stated, undertones of pride littered her voice. She was fond of the self given name.

He squinted. She looked all too familiar, yet he couldn't quite place why.

"Okay Nijori. I'm Grey. Can i take you to your house?"
She looked and her feet in disappointment and dropped the makeshift weapon.

"I..I don't know where it is."
He didn't question it. She was likely an addict. But unlike the other homeless and addicts that littered  New York's streets, he felt the need to help her. Protect her.

"Alright, that's okay. How. about you come with me and i can patch you up?" he said, motioning to the scratches on her face. Everything in her body screamed at her it was a horrible idea, but she felt she didn't have much of a choice. It was either go with Grey or stay in the alley.
Oru poked his head out of her pocket, watching the man. He looked as suspicious as a mouse could. He didnt trust Grey either.

"Okay." He took a few cautious steps towards Nijori and he wrapped his arm around her pulling her under his umbrella. She was freezing. She rested her head on his shoulder as they walked out of the alleyway.

She felt safe.

Author's note: so sorry for taking so long to update! i was temporarily locked out of this account and yk how busy school can be. i couldnt find time to write another chapter. this is short but i just really wanted to get a chapter out. i have BIG plans for this book i promise. but i'm back and will be updating a lot more frequently now. thanks for reading <3