xv.

   ↞ ┼ ↠

     ALSIE drank the wine with a subtle amusement as the men across from her remained frigid like blocks of ice.

     There was no need for a moment of preparation before the mayhem ensued. Alsie was ready to pounce, to lick the blood from her fingers until all she felt was a heavy satisfaction. But she wanted John to prepare. Nothing could ever get you ready for witchcraft, let alone such sophisticated and demonic powers that these men lusted for. No, John  would have a few minutes to mentally understand that what he was doing would be real and more difficult than the writhing worms he cut before.

     Alsie took in the cream-beige of the walls, the modern décor that was absent of any traditional art or cherished books. It seemed more of a tomb rather than some highly sought school for young warlocks. Everywhere was cold, barren of any warmth that came from comfort. Where Cordelia's big home for her students was filled with sunshine and the perfume of ripe lemon, here it was a promise of a soul that matched the darkened hallways. The fire next to them didn't even bring enough to light.

     "How's Cordelia?" John Moore asked, the curl of his lip in a silent sneer told her very well how much he thought of the Supreme. "Still a good master?"

     Alsie's lips didn't move an inch, but her throat hummed a reply. "Better than yours," She looked between Ariel and Behold, heard their hearts thumping like a quartet making its next rendition of a somber melody. "While you've been hiding your face in whatever dark lord's ass you worship, I've travelled the world and have ruled myself. Of course, you must already know that with your skulking little spies. I swear, if you wanted to see me naked, all you had to do was give me a call."

     John Moore laughed bitterly, his dark eyes crackling with a silver shine. Beside her,  her own companion was tense, jaw locked and hands clutching the arms of his chair as if waiting for a nuclear explosion to trap them all down here. Good. Be scared. Let his bones feel rattled, his body alarmed and ready to strike. Coming in her with no lick of fear would have been foolish. The bag next to him was in perfect reach and all Alsie had to do was make the first move.