The Dwarven Sorcerer Ch 17

"When they first came for the wizards I did nothing because I am not a wizard. Then they came for their families, again I did nothing because they are not my family. Then they came for our colleagues, again I did nothing because they are not me. When they finally come for the rest who will be left to save us?" Said Bofac.

"What the bloody Hel are you talking about," said Uriah. Laughter followed from the other dwarves.

Bofac looked up from his bowl of stew. "Huh?"

More laughter.

"I said, what the bloody hell are you talking about?"

Bofac didn't realize that he had been talking out loud. "Oh, uh. It's just kinda scary out there right now, you know. You can't tell who's on yer side no more. Friend from foe, wizard from inquisitor. It seems like all it takes is one wrong look and yer hanging from the gallows. Oh, look, I reckon that the inquisition was formed to protect us but now it seems like some dwarves use it as a weapon, to get rid of rivals. No offence meant," he said to Grundi. "Most of you are good honourable dwarves, some are just going too far is all."

Uriah sat back, putting his weight against a rough-carved stone. His belly hung over his belt and his orange stringy hair was tied back in a tight ponytail that only emphasized his hair loss.

"You don't know what yer talking about, b'y," he said, his voice dripped with condescension. "There ain't nothing like that going on."

Bofac's brow curled slightly in frustration. "Just look around you," he said. "Many of us are living in a world of fear. This ain't what the inquisition was meant..."

"Ha," Uriah forced out a fake laugh, loudly interrupting Bofac. Some of the other dwarves grew uncomfortable, but they said nothing. Bofac paused and looked around at everyone but they only sat there quietly, looking down at their laps, not making eye contact. The worst for him was his friends Thrack and Grundi. Grundi looked like he wanted to aid Bofac, maybe tell the old dwarf to 'fuck off', but he didn't. Ever since Ailiana's death, he's been so quiet. As for Thrack, well he wasn't saying much of anything since the last battle. Probably because of the new wound on his face; he'd nearly lost an eye and that could be traumatic.

Bofac tried again. "Dwarves are living in fear of each other. That ain't natural, it ain't the way we're supposed to live."

"Bah," Merax waved a dismissive hand. "I ain't livin' in no fear, b'y. I ain't got nothing to worry about 'cause I ain't no wizard."

"You don't have to be a wizard investigated, it only takes an accusation," said Bofac.

"You know what yer problem is? You see conspiracies everywhere. It's like you're trying to point your finger at everyone else. You're starting to sound like a wizard to me now," said Uriah.

Grundi stood up quickly and moved in a flash to stare down at the fat dwarf, his eyes dark and menacing. "I think you'll want to watch what you say there, fatty," his voice was low and threatening, he pressed a strong finger into the dwarf's chest. "Me mate ain't got nothing to do with them bloody wizards; he fucking knows better."

"I'm just saying," said Uriah, he had lost some of the conviction he had earlier.

"No," said Grundi, his eyes were wide with barely contained violence. "You're fucking done 'just saying,' you get me?"

"Yeah, yeah, I get you. I was talking, is all."

"Everyone knows that them wizards are evil and me mates here would never get involved with them bastards, and if you dare accuse them again," Grundi left the threat unfinished he gave Uriah a dark look barely containing violent menace. Shaking with rage, he sat back down with a "humph" and crossed his arms across his chest.